2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2008 7:56 AM by 1-MWF61

COSMOS 2008 analysis problem ???

I am familiar with Catia V5 R16 and new to Solid Works 2008. I am attempting to model a rubber hose under forces of gravity and drag. The hose is supported by a hinge restraint and starts out horizontally. Essentially I want to apply various drag forces and study where the hose rests in the air in relation to the horizontal starting point.

Problem 1:

The problem is when running the analysis I get a large displacement error. I also tried activating the large displacement flag and now the analysis fails.

Problem 2:

My study type is set to static and I have attempted to change the study type however, Cosmos will not show any analysis types other than static.

Any help on this issue would be amazing and very much appreciated.
        • COSMOS 2008 analysis problem ???
          Bill McEachern
          if the hose is relatively stiff - ie a rigid bhody approximation is reasonable then you should do the analysis in the motion program. If you are not interested in the stresses in the hose (at the pivot I would surmise) this is the way to go.

Genrally in FEA work you can not have unrestrained degfrees of freedom and it doesn't matter what program you are using if linear static is the analysis procedure. If you add soft springs you will get an answer though and i would expect that the large displacemnt option is required.
            • COSMOS 2008 analysis problem ???
              Hi Zaine,

First, the types of studies you can create depends on your licene. It seems that you have Premium which allows Static studies only.

The large displacement is probably due to inadequate restraints (support) or excessive forces. Static studies are accurate only when the resulting displacements are small. If the program thinks that the calculated displacements are large, it gives you an option to improve the results. In this case, it will actually solve a nonlinear problem and it will take more time.

To help you understand what's going on, you can animate the results of the first run that worked for you. You can then add restraints and try again.

Thanks,
              Idris Traina