3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 9:03 AM by James Riddell

Recommended Hardware for Simulation !!!

Ajay S.

Dear All,

Kindly comment on following Specification to max utilize SolidWorks Simulation (Linear, Non-linear, Dynamics, Drop-Test, etc) pls.

TECH SPEC

SPECIFICATION

WORKSTATION

DELL PRECISION T 7810

PROCESSOR

DUAL INTEL XENON E5-2630 v3

Each [8 CORE, 20 MB CACHE, 2.4 GHz TURBO]

OS

WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL (64-Bit)

CHIPSET

INTEL C612

MEMORY

QUAD CHANNEL 64 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 ECC RDIMM (4+4 card slots i.e., 8x8 GB)

GRAPHICS

NVIDIA QUADRO K 4000 8GB

STORAGE DEVICE

2* 3.5” SATA 1 TB

MONITOR

ULTRA-WIDE 24”

RAID

RAID 0

Regards,

AJ

• Re: Recommended Hardware for Simulation !!!
          James Riddell

Go to a SSD for OS & temp/swap file locations. Get a higher resolution monitor.

• Re: Recommended Hardware for Simulation !!!
            Alan Sweetenham

You want to keep the CPU speed high. If just running a single study then 6-8 cores is generally the sweet spot for Simulation but you want a Speed of 3GHz + rather than go the dual CPU route

A quick sanity check is number of cores x speed. However different simulations and solvers benefit from multiple cores to different extents so one with a faster speed is always a safer bet.

You may want to have a look at the 5810 as that has the new E5 v4 Xeon CPUs and more choice at the higher speeds from what i can see. I  would go with one of the 3 below depending on budget

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1650 v4 (6Core, 3.6GHz, 4.0GHz Turbo, 2400MHz, 15MB

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1660 v4 (8C, 3.2GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo, 2400MHz, 20MB

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1680 v4 (8C, 3.4GHz, 4.0GHz Turbo, 2400MHz, 20MB

Also i agree you should see a benefit from an SSD, simulation tends to read and write lots of data to disc (large CPU cache seems to help also but no hard data on that)

Also note that the K4000 is old tech now, it has been replaced by the Quadro M4000, other than that 64GB of ram may be over kill but hard to know ahead of time, you could spec less but leave room to add if needed.