4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2008 1:24 PM by Jeff Sweeney

DBWorks to PDMWE Migration

Jeremy Schmidt
      Has anyone tackled the process of transferring their DBWorks database and files to PDMWE? If so, I'd be interested in hearing your suggestions or horror stories.
        • DBWorks to PDMWE Migration
          David Hales
          We have not actually tackled the process, but I thought that you might want to read other comments about PDMWorks Enterprise vs DBWorks.

https://forum.solidworks.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=45&threadid=9413

Jeff Sweeney
            Whoa! ... I just did something close to that with Activault.. It wouldn't be too hard to do ....the DBWorks database is simpler than Activault's.

My approach for the code probably would be to dig through the DBWorks database one at at a time so you could update the PDMWE datacards on the fly.

Another approach could be the old Drag n' Drop, cause DBWorks doesn't do anything with the database names. -Of course assuming you were only interested in bringing in the latest and greatest versions.

Jeremy Schmidt
                Unfortunately, I'm thinking that we are probably going to want to bring over the previous revision files as well. And with the way PDMWE renames the files, it seems to me that we need to do this right away, rather than waiting for a less busy "day" down the road. As far as the SQL data itself is concerned, I've started putting together a map of the tables that shows which fields are linked between the tables. But if anyone has done this already, please tell me to stop wasting my time. I'm also thinking that we are going to have to do some major organizing of our custom properties. I was thinking we'd have to "mine" all of the existing custom properties of the SW files, map these properties to the newly established property name, and then repopulate all the custom properties. Can this be done through the API? We puchased Propa-Gator a number of years back, but this seems limited in its features.
                Jeff Sweeney
                Use the API. It won't do the job a fast as directly editing SQL but I can almost guarantee you'll be happier in the long run. The SQL tables are so complex and if you miss something, you'll be sad.