18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2008 6:54 PM by 1-A5CHD1

PDMWorks Link = Empty folder

Jacqueline More
      OK, I've gone around with the VAR for over a week, not having much luck. I need to resolve this asap. I'm not IT savvy, and much of my PDM knowledge is self taught.

I just upgraded to a new workstation, xp pro 64 bit. I am running solidworks 2007 and pdm works enterprise 2007. The server software is 32 bit if that helps.

I've already made sure the pdm enterprise software installed in the program x86 folder vs the regular program files folder. I've edited the registry numerous times to delete the databases, vaults etc locally and tried re-connecting. Everything works smoothly thru the view setup wizard without any notices of issues. However, when I go to C:\ the PDM Works icon is not there, instead it is an empty folder.

Right now I am mapped to my PDM archive server via my laptop, but this is not an efficient use of my time. Every time I need to view something or check something out, I have to do it over on the laptop then come back to the workstation. This is slow and miserable.

How do I fix this? I worry I am now high and dry as I have not heard back from my VAR since Monday. Our local IT folks don't know enough about PDM to fathom a guess because everything goes as it should until we see that empty folder.

Thank you.
        • PDMWorks Link = Empty folder
          When in the vault, try going to the Tools menu, and selecting 'Work online'.

If that doesn't solve it, it most likely is an installation issue. As you noted in the other thread, your best best is to start from scratch. For instructions on how to delete what is left behind after you unistall PDMWE, search the knowledge base for solution S-012984.

You can tell if the workstation is using a 32 or 64bit system by going to Control Panel -> System. There should be a separate setup for the 64bit client, if I recal correctly.
            Jacqueline More
            That was the first thing I'd tried. This is just not connecting to the server at all.

I followed that, uninstalled everything, deleted everything and started all over again. Still no luck.

My workstation is a 64bit, I know that. As for PDM install CD, it doesn't say if it's 32 or 64 bit.

Thanks anyway, Lee.
              Have you tried creating the vault in another location?
                Jacqueline More
                IF you mean, for example, on my laptop, yea, the standard setup works on every machine I've done thus far except this new workstation.
                If you mean, locally, such as the desktop vs the c drive, yes. tried both. Then my VAR told me it can only and should only be installed at the default, which is the C-drive. Which is weird to me because on every other machine I've installed PDM on, I make the icon go right to the desktop.
                  Jacqueline More
                  ok I have PDMworks Enterprise 2007 SP 2.2. I threw the disc in and hit explore but I'm not seeing anything that's clearly indicated "setup64".
                    Take a look at the download page for PDMWE x64. One can not mix and match the x32 and x64 installations. PDMWE 2007 is also at SP5, which means quite a few fixes may have happened in the last 3 service packs. (2.2-5)
                      On the home page of the customer portal, (if you have a valid subscription) it's the first link under 'My support.'
                        Jacqueline More
                        My problem now is despite having active subscriptions, everything is LOCKED. I cannot even access the knowledge base. This is why I have been unable to upgrade PDM. In Solidworks, I can at least use CHECK FOR UPDATES and get service packs but for PDM, I've been stuck. Apparently my version of PDM doesn't support 64bit but nice to screw around wasting over a week when I believe the VAR should have known that and told me that up front. ANYWAY, thank you everyone. If I can figure out how to unlock those views, I can download the latest SP and get moving. Solidworks told me to get it from my VAR but the VAR told me last night to d/l it from solidworks. But, since it's locked, I am unsure where to go from there...
                          Sounds like it is time for a new VAR. Try emailing SolidWorks support to find out what is going on with your portal. Or, maybe create another account. Anyway, good luck getting it all sorted out.
                            Jacqueline More
                            Thanks, the VAR choice is not mine, big corp, they make the decisions, we just have to deal with them hehe but thank you!! I appreciate your help with this headache.
                              Jacqueline More
                              ugh this is like the song that never ends! OK, I blundered around and found if I Clicked on the beta solidwroks 2009 icon, it actually let me download the pdm sp5... and it WORKED! But now it's saying

The version of the database "xx" is 7.2 This does not match the installed version of PDMWorks Enterprise. Please upgrade the database.

so I click OK and then get
                              Could not log into the database "xx" on server "yy" Cause: The program and the file vault are of incompatible versions.

Now what? How do I deal with this?

Then, once I deal with that, what about all the other users who use PDM? They are all on 32 bit machines. What do I need to do to get them from having problems accessing pdm?

Before I upgrade, install or do anything else, I need to know what I'm in for here so I can make sure everyone gets the updates they need quickly. Sorry I'm a really REALLY sad admin... hazard of being self-taught.
                                Jacqueline More
                                no, I needed PDMWE 2007 SP5 so I could use my 64bit machine. I need to find out if that same piece of software is what I need to upgrade/update all the 32bit machines (clients?) and if that's the same piece of software I need to use to update the database server. I have no clue and have not heard back from my var. The instructions just say "the same way you would update the server with any other SP" but I have never updated it so I have no idea if it's just like updating the software on a PC...

what happened was I was the support customer portal and EVERYTHING I NEED is always locked out. I accidentally clicked on the solidworks 2009 beta icon at the bottom of the portal and it took me to a page that actually let me download the upgrade SP5 for PDMWE 2007... so I downloaded that but the instructions said I need to upgrade EVERY CLIENT and the server...
                                  There is an upgrade directory in the folder you extracted the SP to, and in it is upgrade.exe that will update your database. You will need to upgrade every client, using the x64 installer.
                                    Jacqueline More
                                    ok I think I see that Dbupdate? so do i run that locally or do I need to go upstairs where the archive server is and have our IT guy run it?

guess i better get some running shoes on
                                      You can run it from your machine IIRC.