4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2008 1:05 PM by Mark Matthews

Multiple sketches for multiple surfaces

Len Hodder
      Help, please!

I have a number of sketches which define side contours (3D), top surface and mid-section shape (2D) of a kayak-like product.

I define a lofted surface using the verticals of the side contours sketch and the top and bottom horizontal boundaries using an edge defined by the other two 2D surfaces. In the end, in property manager, I get a lofted surface with 3 sketches embedded in that operation.

Now, I want to create another set of surfaces, using two or more of the same sketches. I can select one of the embedded sketches, and insert a surface, but I can't select two (or more) of the embedded surfaces to create another surface from.

Can you suggest how I can do this, or is there another approach entirely? I'd prefer to keep these sketches separate, since the two 2D sketches are on specific planes, and are connected by contours drawn in the 3D sketch.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
      Len
        • Multiple sketches for multiple surfaces
          Mark Matthews
          You're going to have to post a screenshot or the part itself to help explain why you can't select the edges of the previous surfaces. There is no reason you should not be able to select the sketches and edges to use them for other surfaces. The only entities that cannot be shared or selected again are "Curve" features, like projected curves, composite curves, and helixes. All sketches can be shared multiple times.
              Len Hodder
              Hi, Mark.

The "select" isn't with selecting the edges, but selecting the sketch in the design tree in Feature Manager. I can select one sketch (either embedded or not), then add a feature, such as a surface, based on that sketch. A second reference to the sketch will appear under the surface feature in the tree. However, if I want to create a surface that uses two sketches, both of which are already embedded in another feature, I can't select both (I tried selecting one, then ctrl-selecting the second, and then inserting a new surface).

I've worked around this for now by creating a single sketch that has all geometry, but I'd really prefer to use several sketches.

Thanks.
              Len
                  Charles Culp
                  Are you familiar with the selection manager? After initiating the loft tool, right click in the viewing area and select "selection manager". This will allow you to select multiple entities as one curve for your control. Also, if you are doing exterior surfaces like that, you might consider using the boundary surface tool instead, I find it is must easier to control.
                    Mark Matthews

Len Hodder wrote:

(I tried selecting one, then ctrl-selecting the second, and then inserting a new surface).

You have to select the sketches while you are creating the surface feature. You cannot preselect sketches for lofts or boundary surfaces. Start by selecting the loft tool and then use the collector for your first and second direction profiles. You pick these curves one at a time (not cntrl select). Like Charles says, use the Selection manager to select multiple edges for one loft profile.

You cannot select from two different sketches for one profile; you can select segments of a single sketch for one profile by using the selection manager. To make two sketches one sketch you can use (they must be connected at endpoints) for a profile, make another sketch (2-D if they share the same plane; 3-D if they are not planar) and use the convert entities tool to select the segments you want from both sketches into the new sketch. This sketch will follow changes you make the to the underlying sketches.