12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2013 10:57 AM by Rux Devarajulu

Custom Line Style

Bob Seher
      I want to detail some machining in a large flat sheet metal part and need to use a cropped view in my drawing to show that area at a large enough scale to dimension clearly.

This means that ALL boundaries of the cropped view are only that; a "cropped view edge" and not an edge of the part although they show up exactly the same in the drawing.

I would like a "jagged" line to define my "cropped view" so that it does not get confused with edges of the part.

SW does not have a "cropped view edge" style.

Has anyone wished for such a bounding edge?

Has anyone found a work around without "drawing a jagged edge by hand"?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
        • Custom Line Style
          Dwight Livingston
          I don't have a solution for you, but we would use a heavy phantom line.
          • Custom Line Style
            Charles Culp
            Because the boundary edge actually defines the crop (and not just a line for the lines sake), the only way to accomplish this is to "draw a jagged edge by hand". It inherently cannot be accomplished by a line style.

That being said maybe someone has a more automated method for creating a jagged line, I am not familiar with one.
              • Custom Line Style
                Bob Seher
                Charles,

Thank you for your prompt response also.

If a line of any style is still a line, couldn't it be used for whatever purpose SW wanted to use it for no matter what it "looked" or better yet "printed" like?

It seems to me that if one wanted to, a line could display as a series of "tangent circles" and still function as a line (centerline of circle centers) to define whatever it was used for within the SW software.

I confess to being completely ignorant of how the software works, but am fearless about plunging into the abyss...............using trial & error and pushing buttons until it explodes!

Can you set me right?

Thanks again,

Bob
                  • Custom Line Style
                    Charles Culp
                    Bob,

Sure, you can make the line look however you want, and that would be great. Infact, there have been numerous requests for SW to include "revision clouds" as a standard function, something that it cannot do. That sound very similar to what you are asking.

The difference is that revision clouds are just lines on top of the drawing views, they aren't actually defining the views themselves. To illustrate my point, I have included a small portion of a cropped view I drew up just yesterday. It included some drawing views that were "shaded", so they look like the solid model. Note that in my two attached images you can see the first one, which shows how I did the crop. It was just a clean circle. Then in the other one I superimposed a "jaggie line" on top. Note that it doesn't work! Now, if the jaggie line defined the crop, I could do that. You stated that you wanted a "line style" to just look like jaggies, but actually be a straight (or smooth-curved) line. I hope this illustrates the inherent problem with this for you.

And again, that doesn't mean that I don't think an automatic way to create actual jagged lines would be bad. I think it would be great if SW had a "convert this straight/curved line to jaggies" button. That way you create the simple curve, and then it makes a nice consistent jagged edge. It just wouldn't be a line style.

*Edit: and I attached one with "actual jaggies" to show what it should be doing for a jagged edge.
                      • Custom Line Style
                        Bob Seher
                        Charles,

Thanks for the detailed explanation...........I understand the problem better now, and will wait with everyone else for SW to catch up.

I would actually be satisfied if I could simply show the drawing view geometry that I used to "crop" the view, and by changing it's line weight and style could make it appear different than a model edge.

This is what Dwight accomplishes above, but with a required second set of lines.

Thanks,
                  • Custom Line Style
                    Bob Seher
                    Dwight,

Thanks for your prompt response. Sounds like a good work around, but I had some difficulty with the printed drawing not showing the "heavy phantom line"

Do I have some setting wrong?

The view menu is set to show sketches, and even on the screen, the heavy phantom line disappears after a rebuild from "editing crop".
                      • Custom Line Style
                        Bob Seher
                        Dwight,

My problem was that I was trying to "see" the sketch that I used to create the "cropped view, and that does not show up, it only "cut" the viewport shape.

I believe what you meant for me to do was to "sketch over" the cropped view boundary with a thick phantom line. Is that correct?

That sketch definitely shows up on the screen and the print, but alas is a second step and "work-around" at best.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
                      • Re: Custom Line Style
                        Rux Devarajulu

Bob,

The line style of Cropped View boundary can be changed. Go to Property Manager-->Document Properties--> Click "Detail" Under the "View Lables" and change the line style whatever you want. The "Border" option for Crop View and the "Circle" option for Detailed View. ScreenShot167.jpg