3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2008 10:50 PM by Bill McEachern

Are user defined functions possible?

Casey Brown
      We run Fluent and FloWorks in house, using Fluent when the problems get 'tough' and FloWorks to get quick turnaround. FloWorks has many advantages, but one area we cannot get around is that we have a lot of in-house code that gets used by the Fluent solver to solve for certain physical phenomena specific to our work (specifically some electrochemistry).

Does anyone know if there is any way to integrate in-house code with FloWorks? Based on the documentation I am guessing that the only way this might be possible is by getting some sort of agreement with the developers, has anyone tried this?

Casey Brown - Versa Power Systems
        • Are user defined functions possible?
          Bill McEachern
          It depends on what you are doing. We have a client that exports a vast number of flow trajectories and use the data in other calculations. Thid works well but it depends on whether your problem suits the approach.
              Casey Brown
              Bill,

Thanks for the reply, I can see that approach being valuable in some cases, unfortunately not for us. We really need to integrate into FloWorks, so, for example, we cannot export flow data and apply electrochemistry to it, since the flow itself is significantly impacted by the electrochemistry.

I realize you didn't say this was the solution for everyone, I'm just clarifying in case there are some other suggestions out there... I can always hope, can't I?

Casey
                  Bill McEachern
                  I worded my response very carefully as it does require a particular set of circumstances to work. I have to agree that having some sort of user definable "relations" would be handy though it doesn't really line up with the products philosophy of "engineering fluid dynamics" - that is to say - your average awake a the wheel engineer can figure it out. You should put in an enhancement request - they consider them all - especially if it can help them sell more software.