10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2009 7:14 PM by Adam Meyer

Documented EC process

Jason Ebersole
      This may be bit of an open-ended question, but can anyone share their working EC process concepts as it applies to PDMWE? In trying to develop an EC workflow, if all documents regardless of extension & folder can share the same default workflow, the link to an EC workflow process is simple, but once conditions are introduced and the existence of multiple workflows is present, this gets to be problematic.

Granted, I am in an evaluation phase, so my experience with PDMWE is somewhat limited thus far, but it seems creating an EC process is not going to be an easy task.

Can anyone share their methods? Thanks.
        • Documented EC process
          Corey Hinman
          do you more specific questions? I dont' have our system documented yet, but according to our VAR, I'm using it for ECN's to a level deeper than most, so I might be able to help you.

Corey
            • Documented EC process
              Jason Ebersole
              The evaluation team will be meeting tomorrow to hack out an EC process that we will then try to setup in PDMWE. My basic structure right now is using a Word doc as placeholder to "paste reference" documents that are part of the EC. Then a little bit of what I think is called parallel transitioning to get all of the docs to same state. I am also using a transition that moves the docs from the default workflow to an EC workflow then back to the default workflow at the end.

I haven't even started looking at the level of security I will need to implement on these workflows, and the likelyhood of having multiple branches on the EC process to accomodate different types of ECs and the reviewer & approval groups for each one.

Anyway, so many questions, not only about EC. I need to post a new thread about getting the REVISION to properly show up on Office Docs (if possible).

- jason
                • Documented EC process
                  Corey Hinman
                  Jason,

We use the paste as reference for the CAD files, but we only change state on the ECN document, the other documents (CAD, Excel, ERP) usually have their own workflow, so we let them remain separate. Which is working well, especially when searching for documents.

I will be out of town for a few days so i might be slow to reply.
                    • Documented EC process
                      Jason Ebersole
                      wouldn't also changing state on the referenced documents give other users a heads up that they are already part of an active EC?
                        • Documented EC process
                          Corey Hinman
                          In our setup the drawings remain in their own workflow...a simple example.

Pending
                          Released
                          Revising

So a drawing would remaing in the "revising" state while the ECN document would go through NUMEROUS states. In a complex setup it will transition to many different states.

Meanwhile the drawing remains unchanged, and the users will see the latest version is being revised. If they do a where used they will see the ECN document.
                            • Documented EC process
                              Jason Ebersole
                              I assume then, as your EC document is changing states, the referenced documents show the "file in wrong state" (or whatever) until the parallel transitions line back up at the end of the workflows.

If so, I find this a little annoying as it might be difficult to recognize a real problem if an "error" is considered normal behavior. Our "wants" for an EC process are pretty detailed, so this is the least of my problems.

We are still evaluating PDMWE and will be moving onto an Adept eval next. How much we can custom-fit an EC process is pretty important, and I'm thinking of contacting Inflow (or others) to discuss if what I want to do is even possible, and how much billable development time would be involved if I don't want to attempt it myself.

- jason
                                • Documented EC process
                                  Corey Hinman
                                  Yes you do get a warning when making the transition. We've been live throughout the company with ECN's for a couple months now. So far so good. We've started using it for Cost Estimate routings also.
                                    • Documented EC process
                                      Corey Hinman
                                      Ok, I "answered the call" for papers at SW2009, to show what we've done with ECN's in Enterprise and try to generate more interest and development.

Hopefully it gets accepted, I blazed through it pretty quick, and I hope there is enough interest in the topic.
                                        • Documented EC process
                                          Jason Ebersole
                                          Based on what I know of the EC process you custom configured, I would be suprised if it's not accepted. I'll even go as far to say I think you'll get a standing ovation!
                                          • Documented EC process
                                            Adam Meyer

Corey Hinman wrote:

Ok, I "answered the call" for papers at SW2009, to show what we've done with ECN's in Enterprise and try to generate more interest and development.

Hopefully it gets accepted, I blazed through it pretty quick, and I hope there is enough interest in the topic.

Any chance you could share what you submitted? It sounds like it would be helpful to a lot of people.

Thanks,

Adam