10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2015 4:40 PM by Robert Tupa

Trouble opening inventor files.

Bob Deschenes
      I keep getting this error.

SolidWorks Corporation - InventorApprentice Processor Error Log

InventorApprentice Post Processor

InventorApprentice File Name: C:\Documents and Settings\bdeschenes\Desktop\New Folder\024375CDRD\024375CDRD\024375CD.ipt

Any suggestions?

Thanks
        • Trouble opening inventor files.
          Mark Kaiser
          No idea on the error message, but assuming someone is sending you this file, can they send it in another format to try?
              Bob Deschenes

Mark Kaiser wrote:

No idea on the error message, but assuming someone is sending you this file, can they send it in another format to try?

Ya, that will be my last resort.

I just figured someone might have had the same problem.

Bob Deschenes
                  Just found this in the release note's.

To open Autodesk® Inventortm 11 or Inventor 2008 part (.ipt) or assembly files (.iam) in SolidWorks, you must have Inventor installed on the same system as SolidWorks 2008.

Why bother?

If i had inventor i'd open it in inventor.
                      David Lewis
                      Boy thats funny, I have the same problem one of my colaborators uses Inventor, he just sent me 212 files for a project in just licenced($10,000) from them. I can't open any of the files. Autodesk viewer sucks bad, all you can do is look at the assemble, but nothing else. You can't hide or make transparent anything, useless. Any ideas?
                          Terri Stripling
                          I am an engineer and I work with students around the US ( Ten80 EducationTen80 Education); however, I am also a relative novice with Solidworks. A lot of schools use Inventor as a part of their curriculum but want to learn the SolidWorks and COSMOS we provide them through a partnership with SolidWorks.

I see that SolidWorks can handle Inventor drawings but do you know if COSMOS FloWorks can analyze Inventor drawings?

Thanks for your help.
                  • Re: Trouble opening inventor files.
                    Robert Mann

I am using SW 2015 and getting this when trying to open .ipt files what version of inventor will SW 2015 open?

Pavel Klapec

SW 2015 opens Inventor 2015.

Richard Bremmer

Solidworks will open the version of inventor for which you installed inventor or inventor viewer.

To open ipt 2015, either install inventor viewer 2016 or 2015 to get bodies. Or inventor 2016 or 2015 (trial) to get (some) features.

Rick McDonald

To add to what Richard mentioned,

If you are using SW2015 pro or premium, and you have Inventor View 2016 on your system (does not need to be running, just installed) you can drag and drop the .ipt or .asm from explorer into SW and it will open the file(s) in SW as solids.  If you drop a .asm it will create a part file in SW for each Inventor part in the assembly (much faster that opening each one individually).

Then you can run Featureworks in SW and you will have fully editable part files.

A new plus for SW 2016, they are adding Featureworks to Standard version.

If you have a full copy of Inventor on your system (doesn't need to be running) you can do the same drag and drop an .ipt or .asm into SW 2015 (or before) standard version and it will convert the files without needing Featureworks.

As Richard said, the version of Inventor or Inventor View must be the same version as the Inventor files or newer.

Inventor View is free.

You can not open Inventor files if you do not have Inventor or Inventor View no matter what version.

Robert Tupa

Richard and Rick,

Thanks for the explanation.  I'm having the same problem.  I have Inventor 2010 and Inventor View 2016.  I'm trying to open Inventor 2015 files with SolidWorks 2015.  It just sits there saying "Processing...." in the lower right hand corner.  I tried reassociating .ipt and .iam files to open with Inventor View 2016 instead of Inventor 2010 with no luck.  I see that Inventor.exe is spawned in task manager.  How else can I redirect SolidWorks to use InventorView.exe instead?  Registry setting?