15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2008 4:57 PM by Bob Gainer

Designating area to paint

Bob Gainer
      I am work on a complex plastic part and need to add a view to the drawing that will show where to add the painted EMI coating. In the past I have used xhatch but this is so complex, trying to show which areas do and which do not require paint would take hours to define the boundaries for the xhatch. And using the "Region" in xhatch does not work on the fillets and corners.

How do you do this?

Thanks,
        • Designating area to paint
          Charles Culp
          In drawings I either use crosshatched area, or I point to a surface with a note callout.

If you can control it with the model you can color the surfaces. This doesn't do any good if the information has to be communicated in a B&W drawing.
              Deepak Gupta
              You can make split faces on the part. Then show those faces in a particular view in the drawing and point to a surface with a note callout as suggested by Charles.
                  Bob Gainer
                  The part probably has over 1000 face/surfaces that will have the EMI coating applied. There are about 50 holes of different sizes and shapes within the area that is EMI coated and there are multiple areas.

Steven Dinsdale
                      Would it be easier to specify the faces not to paint?
                          Bob Gainer
                          Sometimes but in this case not really. Also, I like to make notes that reflect the action in a positive way. Like "this area to be painted" rather than "areas not hatched area to be painted". I think it is less confusing.

Someone had posted on the Beta forum that SolidWorks need to spend more effort on the drawing package. Maybe they need to think about this. I can't be the only one with this issue.

Bob Gainer
                              Here is an example of a file I did a while back. This new part is about 10X more complex.

Eddie Cyganik

Robert,

I worked for a time at a place that did a lot of painting, coatings and such and I know it can be a mind numbing task.

However, it is what it is, so if cross hatching is too time consuming, then I would use color as Charles suggested.

Regardless of whether you are identifying areas to be coated or the areas to be masked, as long as it is one or the other, color would be the way to go.

Even using a B&W printer, white is white and grey is grey.

One other method would be to cut various sections to identify surfaces at different levels.
                                    Charles Culp
                                    I reviewed what one of our drawing shows that has EMI shielding painted on. It was last revised in 1979, and they accomplished it by taking a photo of the finished part, and created a high-contrast copy to place in the drawing. Then the drawing states to paint "where shaded" (aka, where it showed white).

Now, I think there is a much easier way to accomplish this today. Just color the surfaces in the model, and do a "shaded with edges" view in the drawing, where some are light and some are dark. This may break from a standard, but I think in the end you will make your life easier, and you will end up with a drawing that is far more clear.

*edit: looks like Eddie beat me to the punch. It only took me an hour to find that drawing...
                          Roland Schwarz
                          You can use sketched curves for X-hatch outlines. Sketch the outline of your X-hatch w/ curves in the drawing view. You can draw curves or use "Convert Entities" to associate curves w/ edges.
                              Bob Gainer
                              There is limit on how many curves will remain associated and I have exceeded that. After it is exceeded, and you change the model, you have to delete and redefine each edge. Pain in the you know what.

Charles Culp
                                  How many surfaces are we talking about? I will try and replicate it if I can...
                                      Bob Gainer
                                      First to answer your question, well over 500 faces if I pick them one at a time or I can use the filter to get a bunch.

To me, color in SolidWorks needs some work. There seems to be 16 different ways to add color and you get different results depending on how you do it.

Oh, I do know there is a hirarcy.

Examples;

1) adding color to faces with real view off, adds color to those faces when real view is off.

2) adding color to faces when real view is on, adds color to those faces even if real view is off.

3) if you edit a face that already has color with real view off you get that face only.

4) if you edit a face that already has color with real view on you get that face and every face that was selected at the same time.

#4 is where I have a problem. When you do a large selection of faces 200 or more and then go back later to edit, it lock up my system for a long periods of time. Sometimes it is so long, I end the SolidWorks process just to get some work done.

I have not done much of this since I load SP4 so something may have changed. I guess I'll know in a while.