12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2008 10:46 AM by 1-A5CHD1

manual revision

luke dearth
      We currently have legacy drawings that need to be submitted to PDM Works Enterprise. If possible, we would like to keep the existing revision level in the title block (rev. C). Is it possible to keep our current revision level and then continue to inc. that rev. level as needed in the future? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke
        • manual revision
          Jeremy Schmidt
          It sounds to me like you're getting into a custom programming situation here. We are not running PDMWE yet, but in our current PDM (DBWorks), we have a custom program that is called off that allows the user to enter the existing revision information. That is then pushed into the database.

I am dreaming of the day when a PDM package will have this ability built in. We have 100 years worth of legacy data, and I know we aren't the only ones out there.

As a very simple solution, you could allow the users to just increment the revision on the files off the right click menu. However, I don't see this a very good way of handling it.

I know that probably doesn't help much.

Jeremy
          • manual revision
            I wrote an add-in to handle this but I'm concerned about making available to everyone under the sun. If you're interested send me an email and when I find the time I'll write up some instructions on how to install it. I am not sure about your revision scheme so it may need some tweaking.
            • manual revision
              Eddie Cyganik

Luke,

I know it won't do you any good but in SmarTeam, revisions can be set to over-write previous or input manually as user defined. This capability is precisely what you're looking for; input of redraws for existing data.

Maybe someone in the PDM Enterprise Department will walk down the hall and talk to someone from SmarTeam and borrow some code.
              • manual revision
                Michael Dekoning
                Luke,

Go to the Knowledge Base and look up Solution S-09541.

Mike
                • manual revision
                  Luke,

I would use what SolidWorks has posted. It does the same thing as what I have made, but it looks cleaner than my solution. (You'd have to modify some code with mine.)
                  • manual revision
                    Jeff Sweeney
                    Welcome to the forum Luke.

The newest posting by SolidWorks is pretty nice, now you can choose the directory, where before it was the entire vault. It disappoints me that it is a SQL solution rather than an API solution. I want to be able to RMB click on the file to update just the file(s) I selected!

I've sat down to write it a few times, but it would be a doozy.

Enhancement request time!
                    • manual revision
                      I sent my solution to Jeremy. If he reports back that it worked fine for him, I'll make it available to anyone. All it does is set the initial revision of the file to what the revision field contains upon checkin, and only if the file has not been checked in before. One will need Visual Studio to make a few simple changes.
                        • manual revision
                          Corey Hinman
                          I did this the hard way I guess. I setup a work flow so that you could set the rev and state and then push it to it's destination workflow. We had workgroup and just dumped everything into 1 workflow, so as we change them, we sent them to this workflow to reroute them to the right spot.
                        • manual revision
                          Jeff Sweeney
                          LOL! Corey you are the workflow KING!

Lee, even if it doesn't work for Jeremy I'd love to see your approach. As I said, I an not sure where I would start!
                          • manual revision
                            Jeff, shoot me an email. (Address is in my profile.)