8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2008 12:49 PM by Heather Nelson

Issue with workflows and permissions

Heather Nelson
      Some background first:
      We have two workflows. One workflow is for part/asm/drws going through development release. The second workflow is for part/asm/drws going through a production release. We have our file structure set up with a project template that includes a design folder and a tooling folder. The design group are the only ones with read/write access to the design folder and the tooling group are the only ones with read/write access to the tooling folder. Designers have read only access to the tooling folder and tooling has read only access to the design folder.

The problem we discovered is a tooling engineer had some design files in his assembly and when he went to release his files at a production release it dragged along the design files. The tooling group does not have the permission Increment revision of a file set for the design folder. When he released his files it took design files that were already released at a development release and rereleased them to a production release. Both the tooling group and the design group have the same workflow permissions. It seems that the workflow permissions are trumping the folder settings. This seems completely backwards to me. Has anyone else run into this problem? So far the only answers I've gotten from our VAR is people do have permission to change the state of a read only file and that tooling should be more careful with what they change.
        • Issue with workflows and permissions
          I'll probably stick a foot in my mouth for this, but I think your VAR is not correct. If permissions are set correctly, a user or group should not have the ability to change state on a file they don't have permission to do so on. Whether that be folder permissions or workflow permissions shouldn't matter. One should see an error in the change state dialog.

When he released his files it took design files that were already released at a development release and rereleased them to a production release.

I'm confused about this; re-released them how?

Post some screenshots of your folder permissions and workflows, or create an export file and attach it.
            What are the permissions for the user/group on the transitions? Is permit checked on your transition from Released to Submitted for CR Approval for your tooling engineering group?
                Heather Nelson
                Yes. Users are permitted to change from a Released state to a Submitted for CR Approval. That's why I said in an earlier post that it looks like the workflow permissions are trumping the folder permissions. We want users to be able to change the state so they can work on the next rev without having to wait on someone else to get around to it. I would have thought though that if a user only has read only privileges to a folder they should be locked out of doing state changes. If it is operating with the workflow trumping, the only thing I can think of is having separate workflows for the design folder and the tooling folder.
                See, I stuck my foot in my mouth. Looks like you'll need to add some conditions to your workflow.

Looks like a bug to me.
                    Corey Hinman

The file that was accidentally changed, is it one of the Solidworks files? Is the user changing the State of all related SW Files instead of just the main Assembly/Drawing?
                        Heather Nelson
                        Yes all the files that were accidentally released were solidworks files. He had the design assembly in his tooling assembly and released his top level drawing taking all the children with it. The design files were released in a development release whereas he released his tooling drawing/assembly at a production release so it grabbed all the design files that were in development and put them through release. I spoke to another AE at our VAR and supposedly there's a way to fix this without having to create a new workflow but they haven't said what yet. The files that were accidentally released were caught pretty quickly but then we ran into issues with rolling them back. =(
                      Heather Nelson
                      I found out from our VAR that people do have permission to change the state of a read only file. Reading that statement of course users have permission to change the state of a read only file. After all the file *has* to be read only to transition it (ie checked in). My issue was a user who has read only access to a folder being able to change a state of a file within it. According to our VAR however, that's the functionality of PDMWE. They will submit an SR for the fact that he was able (through the workflow) to check in a file to a folder he has read only permission to. I still disagree with the basic concept though. There should be another permission setting where if you're going to give someone read only access to a folder you can still block them from running any transitions. If they want it open like that, the only way to idiot proof it is the have multiple workflows based on folders. The only solutions they offered were to select Do not mark referenced files when changing state and to tell people to pay attention to the dialog boxes.