4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2008 5:15 PM by Devon Sowell

compatibility PDMWorks Workgroup - Enterprise

Ronald van Boven
      When upgrading to Solidworks Classic to Office professional, PDMWorks Workgroup gets available.
      This looks quit interesting to me, while we do not have such a document file managing system.
      However, the possibilities of PDMWorks Enterprise also seem great to me.

Is there a possibility of upgrading Workgroup into Enterprise after a year or so ?
      Thanks for your info.

Ron
        • compatibility PDMWorks Workgroup - Enterprise
          Devon Sowell
          Hello Ronald-

RE:"Is there a possibility of upgrading Workgroup into Enterprise after a year or so ?"

Yes, you can. However, I recommend you "lock in" your Revision Scheme and Meta Data requirements before you migrate from WorkGroup to Enterprise. There can be problems if the Revision Scheme is changed mid-stream. In that case, you might want to manually migrate files that didn't meet the Revision scheme defined in Enterprise.

In any case, test, test, test. Set up a Test Vault and run that first to define your production vault.
            To be honest, if you're seriously considering taking the PDMWE route, bypass Workgroup all together. Devon mentioned the revision scheme "issue" and it was a huge problem for us. (We switched revision schemes once.) So, we had to migrate a lot of files manually, which became an issue because had a lot of duplicate files due to references.

With that being said; I would go through the painful migration again to have the benefits of PDMWE. It's by far a superior product.

Corey Hinman
                Agreed. We used workgroup for 2 years. Our conversion prior to implementation took months, not days.

From a practical standpoint, I don't like to train users on a system that I know is being replaced shortly.

Corey
                    Devon Sowell
                    Hello Ronald-

Yep, I agree with Corey and Lee, skip WorkGroup if you can.

However, I've seen this other point of view many times; Management thinks it is better to start with WorkGroup (included with SW Office = very little cash expense), then consider Enterprise for later use.

I see both sides of this issue.

The common issue between both applications is the issue of testing and creating a test vault. In my opinion, many companies don't spend enough time testing prior to implementing a production vault.