6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2008 1:28 PM by Sam S

custom property equal to system property?

Sam S
      During check in I have a sw system property (sw-current sheet) mapped to a variable but I also need another custom property assigned the same value that is assigned to sw-current sheet. The reason for this is that downstream of engineering there are some programs, that are beyond my scope, that are ran on the drawings to extract particular information from the CAD documents. These programs were written to extract data from multiple file types so the program is written only to extract data from custom properties not from any type of system property.

I need a way to assign the value assigned to sw-current sheet to our custom property (so that these downstream programs work), I thought I had been told there was a way of doing this during check in but I have not been able to figure it out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can transfer the value assigned to an sw system property to a user defined custom property, ideally without the need of a macro or manual input.

Thanks
        • custom property equal to system property?
          Use the 'Set Variable' transition action in your workflow. In the Value editbox you can choose which variable to get data from, so you're effectively copying data from one variable to another.
              Sam S
              I will try this idea, but can you confirm that this will "push" the variable value back to the cad file?

For example if sw-current sheet equals 3 then during check in that value is assigned to variable SheetNo then with your idea I can then transfer the value assigned to variable SheetNo inside of pdmwe back to custom property SheetNo in the cad file?

My employers requirement is that the current sheet value be assigned to custom propery SheetNo within the cad file and that same value must be assigned to variable SheetNo inside of pdmwe.

Thanks for your help.

I tested it and it works here.
                  Sam S
                  I appreciate your trying to help but I cannot get this to work.

I cannot get the value assigend to the variable to push back to the custom property in the cad file. The value being assigned to the variable is correct but I also need that value assigned to a custom property in the cad file and that is the part that is not working.

Thanks
                      It's working here and these are the steps I took;

Created SheetNo variable. Block: $PRP. Attribute: SW-Current Sheet. Extensions: slddrw.
                      Created TestSheetNo variable. Block: CustomProperty. Attribute: TestSheetNo. Extensions: slddrw.
                      Created transaction action on a transition: Type: Set variable. Variable: TestSheetNo. Value: %var_SheetNo%
                      Created dummy part and drawing. Created 'TestSheetNo' custom property in drawing, set the bogus value to '34'.
                      Checked in part and drawing.
                      Changed state using test transition.
                      Opened file, 'TestSheetNo' now set at '1'.

The custom property you wish to copy to may need to exist.

PDMWE 2008 SP4.