4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2008 1:24 PM by Rob Lembke

Measure in Section View

Rob Lembke
      I can't say this is something I personally use that often but I have a few users who use the functionality quite often. I'm asking this on their behalf.

In a regular view of a model, if you make selections that you wish to measure and then open the measure dialog, those selections are populated into the measure window automatically.

However, if you are in a section view, make similar selections and then toggle the measure tool, these selections are not populated into the measure window. You have to open the measure window first and then make the selections.

We have just updated to SW2008 in the past week and these users believe this is a change from 2007. I'm curious if this is a change made on purpose, if there is an option somewhere that toggles this behavior or if anyone else has experienced this change.

Thanks,
      Rob
        • Measure in Section View
          Charles Culp
          Rob,

I am running SW2008 SP4.0 with Windows XP 32bit and I am able to select the edges first, and they will show up in measure.
            Bill Rose
            Rob,

Yes, there is something different about 2008. If you select two edges that are the result of creating the section view, SWx will clear those selections and you'll have to start over. If one of the two selections is not a creation of the section, then it works as expected. It looks and smells like a bug to me and it was not addressed in SP4.0. It's something I'd love to see fixed because it adds needless mouse movements and clicks to an already user input intensive interface.

This remains me of the weird SWx behavior when placing points in a sketch -- you can make them coincident to a vertex or an end point after the fact but you can't just place them there to begin with. The nice programmers at SWx would rather write a pop up message telling you can't do what you need to do than to just fix it so it does what you ask...........Bill
              Rob Lembke
              Charles - are you in a sectioned view?