7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2008 12:49 AM by Ben Shaw

What is DeleteHole  ?

Howard Gledhill
      I have very limited experience with surfacing. I'm trying to duplicate the steps of a similar part file and I'm stuck on DeleteHole in the design tree.

I can't figure out how to do the same thing. Thank you.
        • What is DeleteHole  ?
          Charles Culp
          Delete Hole is a goober. I don't know how else to say it. It is a feature that you can only create by clicking on the edge of the hole, and pressing the delete key (as far as I know).

To do the exact same thing using a more typical tool, try "surface-untrim"
          • What is DeleteHole  ?
            Jerry Steiger
            Howard,

If you have a hole that you don't want to have in your surface, you can pick an edge of the hole and hit the delete key. That will bring up a menu that gives you the option to "Delete Feature" or "Delete Hole(s)". If you pick the latter and SW can figure it out, it will delete the hole leaving you with a nice unblemished surface.
              • What is DeleteHole  ?
                Jerry Steiger
                Howard,

Sorry for the repetition. Charles got his answer in while I was typing mine. I guess there is a reason he has over 1500 posts!

As Charles says, Surface Untrim will get you very similar results, but you have to try some stuff out to see how to get the most out of it. It's not obvious from the menu that you can select individual edges that you want to untrim. That would be how you could delete just one of multiple holes in a surface, or untrim just one edge instead of all internal or external edges.
                • What is DeleteHole  ?
                  Howard Gledhill
                  Thank you Charles & Jerry. The surface with the hole was created 0 offset from a solid so I had difficulty selecting the surface edge so I cheated. I set the off-set distance to 6, deleted the hole as you instructed, and finaly reset the offset distance to 0.

You guys are allways there to help out. I only hope that some day I can do the same for someone else.
                • What is DeleteHole  ?
                  Ben Shaw
                  If you need to get rid of more than one hole just edit the feature created by deleting the original hole and then you can add more.