7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2008 6:56 PM by 1-7A38PD

Sweep prolems

Hi all,

I'm having problems doing a sweep from a tutorial I'm doing. Basically, I've copied the tutorial but I'm getting the error "guide curve #1 does not have a pierce constraint or cannot establish an implicit pierce constraint with the sweep sketch". I've tried putting in a pierce constraint between the path and the guide curve but it causes conflicts.

I can sweep the path and profile alright but when I add in the guide curve I'm having the problem.

God bless,

Phil.
        • Sweep prolems
          Matt Lombard
          Guide Curves have to actually touch the profile. So your sketch with the angled lines would need to be on a plane that goes through the center of the ellipse.

With the sweep, you should just use one guide curve, and the shape will remain symmetric if you have the center following the path.

Another way to do this is a loft, where you set up another ellipse at the top of the feature. With a loft you don't need a guide curve because a 2 section loft will just give a straight transition.

There are a thousand ways to do it, well, maybe half a dozen anyway.

best of luck.

Matt
            • Sweep prolems
              Hi Matt,

I tried this but it doesn't seem to work so I must be doing it wrong. Created plane through centre of elipse but still getting the error. I've attached the part if you have time to look at it.

I know about using lofts but I'd like to be able to do it this way also.
                • Sweep prolems
                  you need to change the order of sketches so that the guide curve comes after the profile and the path, (plus, you had created the guide curve first and referenced it while creating profile. incorrect! )
                  Dont forget to rate me.
                    • Sweep prolems
                      Matt Lombard
                      You don't need to worry about order of sketches any more. Those rules are several releases old. SW creates implicit pierce if it sees gcs attached to a profile.

You had 2 problems. The first was the path was not long enough. It fell short of the CL of the cylinder by a little bit. Second, the ellipse was dimensioned to a width, it didn't have any actual relation to the guide curve. You don't have to get things in the right order any more, and pierce relations aren't required, but you've got to have some relation between the profile and the gc or SW doesn't know to apply the implied pierce.
                • Sweep prolems
                  matt, i didnt know solidworks is getting even dirtier! but this seems not working.
                  try this:
                  dont do any modifications to the lenght of the path ,delete all the relations in sketches BUT place sketches in the correct order, you'll get the results ! (no pierce, no coincident)
                    • Sweep prolems
                      Matt Lombard
                      SW has put a lot of effort into allowing sloppy work to still produce results. Granted, the sweep w/gc rules were mighty restrictive, but they made sense and forced you to set things up so that they worked. If you always take the high road in modeling stuff, sweeps are generally predictable and work well. If you fall into the "fast and loose" trap, well, that's up to you, you have to live with the results.
                        • Sweep prolems
                          I would prefer to do things the right way and keep my work from getting sloppy. Think the order is important. I've attached the original file (bought the CSWP package off igetit and it was included in it).

Is the order correct?