5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2008 2:57 PM by Jeff Sweeney

permanent local cache

Jeremy Schmidt
      I have been doing some research in the forums and found a lot of usefuly information about toolbox and standard parts, however, I could not find anything related to parts that need rev control, but are still used frequently enough that you want them kept on your local cache. Is it possible to setup a directory in your vault that cannot have the local cache removed? Or do you just have to make sure your users don't clear the cache for that directory? Thanks for the help.
        • permanent local cache
          Jeff Sweeney
          I bet you could make the directory read only with your NTFS settings, but that would make it so PDMWE couldn't write to it either....so maybe you do a get latest, then turn on the read only settings.

This sounds like a lot of work...what would you gain with this behavior?
            • permanent local cache
              Jeremy Schmidt
              All of the standard parts would be stored in the local cache, so you wouldn't have to pull them over the network every time you open an assembly that contains them. I'm thinking that commonly used hardware and such would be stored here. Does that make any more sense? Or is there another way to go about that?

Jeremy
            • permanent local cache
              Jeff Sweeney
              If the files are already in the local cache they won't be pulled across the network. Thus as long as they don't manually clear their local cache you should be in business?
                • permanent local cache
                  Jeremy Schmidt
                  I guess that's what I'm getting at. Is there a way to make it so that they can't clear the cache of that directory? Because don't you want your users to clear the cache ever now and then to keep their machines from bogging down? We have some fairly large assemblies with nearly 50,000 parts some times.

Jeremy
                • permanent local cache
                  Jeff Sweeney
                  I thought you could write an add-in to look for a "clear local cache" trigger, but it appears such a trigger does not exist.

So my second thought was to walk around with a ruler and rap their knuckles if they did it. Then I noticed you have 50,000 part assemblies...your guys are going to want to rap their own knuckles if they clear the cache; 'cause updating their local cache each time will be painful.

I fear it is just going to be a training exercise; if you explain the advantages of not clearing their cache --if they do it once, they will quickly learn their lesson.