8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2008 4:57 PM by Jeff Sweeney

Non-SW users, but vault users

Todd Bohlen
      So we have a couple of designers and engineers that use SW for the normal SW things. But we have another group that we would want to be able to put OTHER documents into the vault and MANAGE those documents - like Word, Excel, etc.

What is the non-SW user vault client called?

Thanks.
        • Non-SW users, but vault users
          Jeff Sweeney
          Contributer
              Todd Bohlen
              This is different than the Viewer?

I asked for a PDMWE quote for 5 SW users and 15 non-SW uses but those 15 will be vault users and the quote said 15 PDM Enterprise Viewer and I think that might be wrong...
                  Joy Garon
                  Todd -

You may be correct - Viwerer is a search, view and print only client (ie: for use by guys on the shop floor, etc).

Contributor is for folks who will be creating and checking in/out non-CAD documents.

I suggest you call your VAR and double check.
                      Todd Bohlen
                      That's what I thought - thanks for the help.
                          Todd Bohlen
                          Ok, maybe next time I'll look at ALL of the attachments on my emails...

Here's what the options are:

PDMWorks Enterprise for Solidworks - this is, obviously, for actual SW

PDMWorks Enterprise Contributor - lets in use the vault for non-CAD files, but NOT participate in the CAD document workflow bus CAN participate in OTHER document workflow

PDMWorks Enterprise Contributor Web - web based - I think this allows participation in the CAD and OTHER document workflow - it has a red checkmark in the box for that category, where all the other checkmarks are black...a red x is the NO mark in the chart. But this one does NOT have Integrated Previews for CAD or other documents, where the normal contributor does allow previews...

PDMWorks Enterprise Viewer - cannot add ANY documents to the but DOES participate in CAD document workflow and regular document workflow...

In any event, what we really need is a combination of the above - add documents other than CAD, participate in ALL workflows, and probably have the preview functions....do we need the Integrated Document Preview or the Integrated CAD Documents Preview?

Thanks for the help!
                    Jeff Sweeney
                    All three options can participate in workflows. All three have the previewer (eDrawings at least) except for those connecting via the web.

Sounds like these users need Contributer.
                        Todd Bohlen

Jeff Sweeney wrote:

All three options can participate in workflows. All three have the previewer (eDrawings at least) except for those connecting via the web.

Sounds like these users need Contributer.

The matix type chart thing I got from the reseller indicates that a "contributor" cannot participate in CAD document workflow...and cannot add CAD documents to the vault. However, the same matrix chart thing indicates that a "contributor" can add non-cad stuff and participate in non-cad workflow...

Do I have an outdated matrix type chart thing?
                        Jeff Sweeney
                        Not sure what you have.

Starting in 2008, Contributer can add CAD documents. (just not [shouldn't] modify them)

As far as I know Contributer has always been able to participate in a CAD workflow.