1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 27, 2008 4:22 PM by Richard Larder

Analysis of threaded componets

Oscar Bowman
      I have tow parts that thread togather. Need to analysis for different loads in differint axes.

How do I mate the threaded surfaces between the two parts and is there any special techniques I need to use when I do the static study?

TIA
        • Analysis of threaded componets
          Richard Larder
          I have performed this type of study previously with C/W 2008 and the mates should not be necessary unless the parts interfere with each other. You can use mates to insure that they don't interfere but the easiest way that I found to do this problem was to generate the the external threads on the internal part and then use the Mold cavity feature in S/W to generate the female thread. By using the uniform scaling parameter in the cavity you can simulate a less than perfect fit. Otherwise, you can independently generate the two threads using the dimensions of standard thread fit geometry. In any case you must identify and generate the contact surfaces of the threads and expect to wait while the contact surface calculation finishes, especially if you use friction. However, unless you need the stress concentration at the roots of a nonstandard thread geometry it is much easier to use the bolt connector boundary condition of C/W 2008