17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2008 8:50 PM by Dwight Livingston

Multiple sheet formatting

Jeff Postlethwaite
      I would like for the format on all subsequent pages after pg.1 to use a different format than pg.1. How can I set this up to be automatic when a new sheet is added?
        • Multiple sheet formatting
          Mark Kaiser
          I'm not positive, but I don't think this can be done. Maybe with API or a macro, but I'm not familar with either of those.

Can I ask why you want the format to be different on subsequent sheets? What's different on them?
              Jeff Postlethwaite
              Our group decided that we would like for the revision block to be displayed only on the first page. So subsequent pages would only have a title block
                Eddie Cyganik

Mark Kaiser wrote:

Can I ask why you want the format to be different on subsequent sheets? What's different on them?

Mark,

Per ASME Y14.1 Decimal Inch Drawing Sheet Sizes and Formats:

Continuation sheets can be used for multi-sheet drawings for sheet 2 and subsequent. Continuation sheets can have a minimum of Sheet Size, Cage Code, Drawing Number, Revision, Scale & Sheet Number Block. No Title, Tolerance Block Info, Notes or Revision History Block is necessary. Notes & Revision History are typically labeled "SEE SHEET 1."

Beside the obvious of not having to duplicate data from sheet to sheet, this method allows for more space due to the elimination of redundant information.
                Brian Slick
                There was a presentation given at SolidWorks World by Kevin Ven Liere, and he described a very clever procedure for accomplishing this. Basically, you create a sheet format that shows your simplified "page 2" titleblock. Then you make a template that contains that sheet format, along with the additional information you want for page 1.

When you create a new drawing using your template, you'll see your regular page 1 titleblock. If you add extra pages, they will automatically display the page 2 titleblock. In reality, the sheet format is exactly the same on all pages including page 1, but the extra information stored in the template makes it look like a different titleblock for page 1. Very clever.
                    Matthew Lorono
                    Brain,

That's a great idea, unless your fields on page 2 are not aligned quiet the same as on sheet 1, as in my case.

Matthew Lorono

Brian Slick wrote:

There was a presentation given at SolidWorks World by Kevin Ven Liere, and he described a very clever procedure for accomplishing this. Basically, you create a sheet format that shows your simplified "page 2" titleblock. Then you make a template that contains that sheet format, along with the additional information you want for page 1. When you create a new drawing using your template, you'll see your regular page 1 titleblock. If you add extra pages, they will automatically display the page 2 titleblock. In reality, the sheet format is exactly the same on all pages including page 1, but the extra information stored in the template makes it look like a different titleblock for page 1. Very clever.

I just developed a better method than even that nifty trick. I'll be posting the protocol on my blog this week. The method I found will allow for two completely different Sheet Formats! It is possible! Here's the link to the current article: http://www.fcsuper.com/swblog/?p=98

This has kind of been the holy grail when it comes to Sheet
                      Format/Drawing Template manipulation in SolidWorks. I wish someday
                      SolidWorks will embed this functionality into SW, but until then, the
                      method I found will work great.

*UPDATE* Instructions are now available here: Part 2
                          Kim Krubsack
                          I'm still on SW2005 and here's how I do it. My drawing template contains 2 sheets, the first one with a full title block and the second with an abreviated block (different sheet formats). Whenever I add a sheet, it comes in the same as the second sheet. But when the drawing only requires one sheet I must remember to delete the second sheet, otherwise it is all automatic.
                            Ben Conners
                            Hey Matthew,

I had a question regarding your protocol. I tried it repeatedly but cannot get it to work for some reason.

Our reason for requiring different sheet format is to have the font size and arrow size and other annotations to be sized according to the sheet size chosen ie B-size, D-size.

By following your protocol will this satisfy changing of font sizes etc on a multisheet drawing.

When you indicate in step 1 to save out the multisheet sheet format, I was assuming that I was to create this drawing template with a couple different sized sheets originally with their own sheet formats and then save out the sheet format for the entirety to create this multisheet sheet format. But it seem that the first sheet you stick sets the default for the size of annotations etc.

We are so stuck in trying to deal with this issue.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Ben Conners
                            Lovat Inc.
                            SW 2008 SP 4.0

Eddie Cyganik

Jeff and ALL,

I guess I'm a bit confused by all the confusion about Drawing Templates, Sheet Formats and their subsequent use as continuation sheets.

As most of you know, I would be the last person on this forum to say that SolidWorks is fine the way it is and that no improvements are necessary. I also believe that automating any process is a good thing. However, I do not see where drawing templates & sheet formats are that difficult to use.

Once again automation by SolidWorks or by users writing API programs and incorporating the use of Macros would be great but the current capabilities work just fine.

Once you have created all of your necessary drawing templates, the additional creation of these as sheet formats is as simple as "Save as Sheet Format".

Now you can create a drawing:
                          File - New, Select the Drawing Tab, then Select a Drawing Template and Bingo, you're on your way to making a new drawing.

Need a continuation sheet:
                          RMB - Add Sheet, Select a Sheet Format, then OK and Ta-Da, you have a continuation sheet.

The rest of the comments like Revision History Block, Contents of a Continuation Sheet, etc., are just details. Once these are worked out, you are back to drawing templates & sheet formats.
                          Piece of Cake!

I guess I could have started out by saying:

"Now what's all this talk about Dawning Templates & Sheets For Rats?"

...but " never mind ", that's another story,

.................signed Roseanne Roseannadanna
                              Dwight Livingston

Eddie Cyganik wrote:

"Now what's all this talk about Dawning Templates & Sheets For Rats?"
                              ...but " never mind ", that's another story
                              .................signed Roseanne Roseannadanna

That was Emily Litella . . . but never mind.
                                  Eddie Cyganik

Damn It, Dwight, you're right,

Wasn't Emily Roseanne Roseannadanna's Aunt or something like that?

Matthew Lorono
                                      Ben,

Sorry for my delay in getting back to you. I've been a little out of commision over the past couple of weeks.

I'm not sure what you are asking. In the case of this protocol, it simply establishes the ability to set one sheet format for your first sheet of your template, while defaulting any new sheets to a different format. This is not a method to create two separate drawing templates in the same file, but to have one template with two completely different sheet formats.

When you use this method, the drawing template will only have one sheet when you create a new drawing. When you add a second sheet, the sheet format you designate at the second sheet will pop up automatically.

Settings for fonts and things like that are still controlled by the drawing template itself.
                                        Dwight Livingston

Eddie Cyganik wrote:

Wasn't Emily Roseanne Roseannadanna's Aunt or something like that?

Wow, I didn't know that.