5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 7:38 AM by Anurag Shukla

How do I install Toolbox?

Joseph Dunfee

I know that this has been discussed in the past in the student forum.  And a Google search turns up some of the threads, though the ones I looked at were quite dated.  Some said that tool box is not included, but others gave specific instructions on how to install it.  I am puzzled why the terms "Install" and "Toolbox" did not come up when I searched here.

Anyway, I have the student edition, but toolbox is not installed.  Regardless of if Toolbox is included on the student disk, is it possible to install it on the student version of SW?

-Joe

• Re: How do I install Toolbox?
          Michael Lawrence

Hi Joe,

Firstly do you know what version of the student edition you have access to? There is the student edition which you can buy here: Student Software 3D MCAD Tools from SOLIDWORKS  and two versions which are available to you through your educational institution. Toolbox is available in two of the three options and it could be possible that your version of the student edition simply does not include it.

Secondly it may be that you have fallen foul of a problem present in SolidWorks 2015 where a windows update upset the installation - preventing certain add ins from being installed. Try the below:

Standalone installs:

1. Click 'Start', click 'Run', type "regedit" in the 'Open' box, and then click 'OK'.

2. Locate and click the following subkey in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

Note: If this subkey does not exist, create it.

3.    In the 'Edi't menu, point to 'New', and then click 'DWORD Value'.

4.    For the DWORD name, type "RemappedElevatedProxiesPolicy", and then press 'Enter'.

5. Right-click "RemappedElevatedProxiesPolicy", and then click 'Modify'.

6.    In the 'Value' data box, type 1, and then click 'OK'.

7.    Run a Repair of your SOLIDWORKS Installation (S-050527)

8. After the application installs successfully, reset the 'RemappedElevatedProxiesPolicy' DWORD value to "0" to re-enable the security fix for KB 3072630.

Michael

J. Mather

I am running student license.

Simply click 1,2 & 3 as seen in image below - or check your Add-ins.

Toolbox.png

Joseph Dunfee

Thank you all for the detailed replies.

I will hold off editing the registry, just because I don't do that a lot, and am concerned about messing things up. But, if I can get confirmation that this is the problem, I may attempt it.

My student edition was done through a special offer they made to a Maker group I am part of. It is the Student Edition year 2015-2016.  I don't know if the toolbox was part of that deal or not.  Nothing in the "About SolidWorks" screen seems to indicate which of the options it was.

When I go to the "Add ons" , there is no Tool box choice.

Joes SW Add-in screen.JPG

When I go to Design Library/Toolbox, it only says that Tolbox is not installed, with no choice to "add in now".

Toolbox screen capture.JPG

With the above, it looks like my version simply has not provision to use the Toolbox.

-joe

Harry Dudley

I have this exact same issue, and I've been trying to fix it for ages.

I have verified that the toolbox files do actually exist on my computer in "C:\SolidWorks Data", as I can browse to the files and open them. I am unable to configure them once opened though.

I also followed the guide to manually updating the toolbox here which was basically to run "UpdateBrowserData.exe" and "sldtoolboxupdater.exe". but this did nothing as far as I could tell.

I tried to fix the problem by going to Control Panel>Uninstall/Change a program>solidworks>modify existing installation but there is no option to add in solidworks in the Product selection screen. In the summary screen there is a hole wizard options drop-down, but is says "You are not installing Toolbox/Hole Wizard; a location is not needed"

Apparently Solidworks does not allow toolbox to be installed on the standard version though, and my program seems to be confused about whether it is the standard or premium version. Under "Help>Show licences" it says I have standard, but under "Help>My Products" it has a green tick next to "solidworks premium".

I'm getting pretty frustrated about this, so if anybody at all could help be out it would be greatly appreciated.

Anurag Shukla

Please contact to student support using the form and provide them the serial number you have used for installation.

They should be able to check and let you know if your serial number is entitled  to Toolbox or not.

Student support request form link:

SOLIDWORKS