16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2016 9:48 AM by Joe Grosskopf

Models getting stuck while saving...or not saving

Joe Grosskopf

We've been battling issues like this since we've been using solidoworks. Our re-sellers keeps telling us the network, the server, the pc etc. We ruled all that out and still having issues. Our Vault server is a quad core zeon with 156 GB of ram runnign windows 2008 server with sql 2012. Our network is  a 1 GB lan. And we upgraded a computer to a 10 core processor, 32 GB ram, 2 SSD drives and an nvidia K4200 card. Our issue seems to be when exiting or saving models. We wil lopen a model, move a part, then attempt yo exit. The system will ask if we are making any changed, we click "do not save" and we will get the spinning circle for 30-60 seconds or more. before it does anything. We are exiting without saving, What could the software possible be doing? It's like it is waiting for something to timeout.

• Re: Models getting stuck while saving...or not saving
          Jacob Steinmetz

What version of SW do you have? Do you typically have a significant wait time while first starting up SW as well?

Jeff Holliday

No great ideas here but just a thought. You say your server is Windows 2008. According to the hardware requirements page on SW customer portal - Windows Server 2008 is not supported - Windows Server 2008 R2, SP1 is supported.

Jason Reese

Do you have the same issue when you save locally?

Joe Grosskopf

Did not try that yet but in this case, I'm not even saving. I exit my model, the software ask if I wish to save changes, I say no and still get the spinning corcle for a minute or so ... and that's on a very small model.

Jason Reese

I would start out simple.. Even when you exit.. there is still a link to the part, assembly, drawing..  that needs to be resolved... I would make sure SolidWorks runs fine on one computer and saving locally.. then you can single out the network.. and start troubleshooting...

Joe Grosskopf

As far as I know this is local but tell me if I am incorrect (I am not a solidworks expert by any means). We open / check out an assembly from the vault. EPDM downloads the files to the local drive them opens. The we close solidworks with no changes. The open the same assembly from vault again. That's local correct? It still takes a bit to open. We figured it would just open immediately since everything is local now. 

Jason Reese

Local would be creating a part, drawing, or assembly on your local drive.. Not working through EPDM.. Try creating a file on your C:\ drive and see if you still have any issues.. then we can tell that it's not your computer.. but EPDM or how you have your network set up.. which sounds like your network is fine..

Jim Sculley

Joe Grosskopf wrote:

As far as I know this is local but tell me if I am incorrect (I am not a solidworks expert by any means). We open / check out an assembly from the vault. EPDM downloads the files to the local drive them opens. The we close solidworks with no changes. The open the same assembly from vault again. That's local correct? It still takes a bit to open. We figured it would just open immediately since everything is local now.

The files are local but there is still a lot of communication between the local machine and the EPDM servers.  You can try turning off the SOLIDWORKS EPDM add-in and see if that makes a difference.  If it does, it is likely something in your add-in options that is causing the problem.

You can also look at the EPDM client log on the local machine and see if there are a lot of errors being thrown, but I would hope that your VAR had already looked at these things.

Joe Grosskopf

Still testing the local file test but in the meantime I looked at the epdm log, I have several errors but it seems to be basically two of them repeating:

Description:
                                    Error running query in SpDbOdbc
                                    State=01000
                                    Msg=[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionWrite (send()).

Date: 2016-06-13 08:24:09
                                    Module: sldworks.exe
                                    Function: hGetErrCode
                                    Error code: E_EDM_DATABASE_LINK_FAILURE

Error code general description:
                                    A communication link failure occurred when accessing the database server. The database service might have been restarted or the network might have gone down. Please try the operation again and contact your system administrator if the problem persists.

_________________________________________________

Description:
                                    SQL-query failed:

Prj_ParseDisplayName 1, N'Engineering\Purchased Parts\MXP\MXP-17918.sldasm', 0

Date: 2016-06-13 09:54:51
                                    Module: sldworks.exe
                                    Function: SpProject::mhParseDisplayName
                                    Error code: E_EDM_DATABASE_LINK_FAILURE

Error code general description:
                                    A communication link failure occurred when accessing the database server. The database service might have been restarted or the network might have gone down. Please try the operation again and contact your system administrator if the problem persists.

I googled the 1st issue and it seems to have something to do with archive server. or archive fucntion. Can't find anything on 2nd one.

Andrew Lidstone

Hi Joe,

Like Jim mentioned, try disabling the EPDM add in and see if there is any difference in the behavior.

If there is, then that sounds like there might be high latency between you and the Database server.  You can confirm this by running an extended ping test.  From the command prompt type:

ping <server name> -t -l 1500

The server name to use will be the server that is hosting the SQL database server program.

The -t option will ping the <server name> continuously until you tell it to stop, the -l option defines the packet size to be used in the test.  A normal ping packet is only 8 bytes, using around 1500 bytes gives much more accurate results.

To stop the test press Ctrl + C on the keyboard.

If you have any dropped packets or if the latency times are very high, then the connection between the client system and the database server computer may be having issues.

Joe Grosskopf

Did not remove the EPDM add-in yet. Not sure what that would affect. Does that mean you cannot check-in/check-out files from solidworks? If I uninstall the add-in, then I'd open the model from the working folder correct?

Also, did the ping test with 1500 and 1 ms response time for over a minute

Andrew Lidstone

You don't have to uninstall the Add In, you can just turn it off for a quick test.

Just go to Tools > Add Ins, or click the drop button beside the gear icon and go to Add Ins, then uncheck the first box for the EPDM Client.

Turn off PDM Add In.jpg

The Add In has to communicate with the database quite a bit when files are open in SOLIDWORKS so delays in that communication will show up as delays when working in SOLIDWORKS, particularly when opening files or saving files. 

With those results from the Ping test it doesn't sound like you have a communication issue but it's worth testing with the add in turned off anyway just to eliminate it (could be something wrong with the PDM install so if turning the add in off seems to help, maybe only a repair of PDM will be required).