5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2017 6:47 AM by Cyrill Obushenko

How do assign an appearance to an entire part?

Mark Matthews

I'm trying to change the color of some parts in the Visualize project, (just trying it out as we use KeyShot), and having an issue assigning a new appearance to a part. When I drag an appearance onto a part to assign it, it just gets applied to the face and not the entire part. Can't seem to find anything that lets me do different.

• Re: How do assign an appearance to an entire part?
          Kenny Wilson

What Part Grouping settings did you use when importing? What CAD program are you using?

Sounds like you need to change your part grouping settings upon import. At any rate, you can still combine parts within Visualize. Use Part selection and CTRL+click the selected parts you want to add the same Material/Appearance to then click Merge Parts. This will combine all the parts into one single part so that the same material can easily be applied. This is sort of how the Part Grouping setting works on the import dialog box.

Mark Matthews

I'm using retain sructure on SW data. Shouldn't the part remain the part then?

Kenny Wilson

I don't use SW so I'm not familiar with how they retain relationships with materials or colors, so I apologize but I can't comment on that. I have been using Bunkspeed/Visualize for several years though, even back when it was called HyperShot.

Have you tried using the "Automatic" part grouping setting and if so, what result did you get? Back in the day when Visualize was Bunkspeed there used to be issues when we would try to bring in our native Inventor assemblies and all the parts would import as a single part file in Bunkspeed. To this day I still run into this issue and also end up exporting my assembly from Inventor to a STEP file and then import into Visualize/Bunkspeed and my parts would group corresponding to the material or color I had applied to the models in CAD. Play around with the different Part Grouping settings and see what kind of results you get.

Alan Sweetenham

Actually it is best to use Automatic if you want to be able to update your model. Parts are kept separate but colour any bodies, features and faces you want to remain separate.

The other good option is appearance grouping which as it says on the tin and  groups parts based on appearance however this doesn't support updates.

Have a look at the videos on MySolidWorks to get you started

Alan

Cyrill Obushenko

Try RMB on group you want in palette->Part Properties...->Merge Parts. After that you can assign appearance to whole part.