2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2016 8:05 PM by Charley Saint

a File for tracking version of another file

Karl Kemp

I am trying to come up with a way to be able to create a document that can be used as a version tracker for files when they are outside of the vault. When the version of the parent file changes i want the version of the child file to change to match. Here's the scenario:

we write software for our products. These projects are made of large numbers of different file types and before the vault we were using zip folders with the revision in the title. there are some nuances involved working with zip folders in PDM and how we need to use these files to write the code. We have to take the zip from the vault, extract it to allow for editing, and then replace zip folder in the vault with a zip folder that has the same name in the vault overwriting the current file and keeping revision history. My concern is the extraction of the file outside of the vault. It could cause a number of problems. We purchased PDM to help improve our revision control and now we have to work outside of it. Once outside of the vault all bets are off. The documents' aim is to at least provide something that tells the user what version of the file is in the folder

I've tried to find an out-of-box solution, with no luck. At this point maybe API? I don't know code but if a solution exists.....

Maybe PDM is the wrong tool

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions on this matter