7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2016 3:41 PM by Tom Gagnon

make a part always appear in drawing with shown hidden edges?

Tom Gagnon

One part I use in most assemblies is hidden in most views, and I currently have to expand view trees to select the part(s) and make it Show Hidden Edges ("SHE"). I do this every single time I use this part, for each view. I do not wish to make the entire view SHE, but only relevant parts.

Is there any way to set a part to always appear in any drawing with hidden lines visible? This part is static and doesn't change, but gets commonly used. This part is in an assembly. The drawing is of the assembly. I could share an image or model if needed, but this is a very general question.

I'd assume if this was set, that I could always manually Hide Hidden Edges instead if this was desired.

Looking for a way to reduce one step in nearly every view I make...

Perhaps if there's no such functionality, I could find or write a simple macro to alter just that part's view setting across all instances within a completed drawing.

• Re: make a part always appear in drawing with shown hidden edges?
          Todd Bush

Tom

I'm new to this and I know for a fact you have hidden lines shown 2D. see I lost that setting and now looking for it. let me know if you found it

Tom Gagnon

I do not understand replies. I don't intend to be rude or ungrateful, but they seem irrelevant.

Not having difficulty viewing edges as they are set to be hidden or shown, nor how, nor selectability.

Not looking for a system setting to control all drawings I work on.

Not looking for a drawing or view setting to affect all components in that drawing or view.

I seek a setting within the Part file so that when it is used in an assembly, the drawing views of that assembly automatically have this Part set to Show Hidden Edges so that I don't have to find (each use of in each view) the part in the design tree and set it manually as such.

I thought from a few weeks of unanswered inactivity that there is no such setting within a part. Perhaps there is such a setting, but I do not understand what the replies above about System Options have to do with the question. If anything, I'd expect it to be a Document Property in the Part file, although a search for "hidden" within Search Options shows the extent of its use: 6 places, all in System Options.

John Stoltzfus

I don't know of any setting for what you want, but that would be an awesome enhancement request.  Especially if you are a manufacturer and need purchased items within the assembly, but there would be times you only would want to show what you make.  Shouldn't the display be phantom lines?

EDIT:

I should have check before I posted - It kind of works but - check this out

I did try it, but had issues where it did the entire assembly, rather than the selected item.  Select an item and right click..

Tom Gagnon

Component Line Font is new to me, and very interesting. I was able to select either an Assembly, Subassembly, Part, or a multiple combination thereof, within a drawing view, and alter its appearance of edges. For example, I selected two of the same Part in an Assembly, changed appearance of hidden lines from dashed to dotted, and Applied to: All Views, so that all places where they are shown hidden are now dotted not dashed. I did appreciate how it was able to apply CLF to all views for that one (or more) part in one command.

While that is pretty cool to learn, it does not toggle Show Hidden Edges, but changes how shown hidden (as well as other types) edges appear. Perhaps an Enhancement Request is the way to go. I'll dabble in macros to see if I can automate this instead, admittedly a low priority to explore. In the meantime, selection filter in the design tree is helpful if I rename the part more uniquely than before.

Thanks to all for some ideas. I neglected this in my last post.

Todd Bush

Tom

You said this in your OP "Is there any way to set a part to always appear in any drawing with hidden lines visible?" I took it among others that your hidden lines weren't being shown in 2D. sorry if I misinterpreted OP