AnsweredAssumed Answered

Inserting a Route into a Route

Question asked by Craig Kennedy on Jun 20, 2008
Latest reply on Jun 20, 2008 by Craig Kennedy
I am trying to figure out the easiest way to model up an assembly of a manifold (a welded steel main line with multiple legs feeding into it, each leg will contain the same fittings, usually a few valves, a sample port, a flow meter, etc.) and have come across a problem. You cannot insert an assembly that contains a route into a route, even with the required AC and AR points.
I was planning on creating a new assembly, routing up a single leg, adding AC and AR points and then inserting that assembly into the main route for each leg. This would allow me to easily change the components in each leg (which are supposed to be identical) and easily add or remove legs if I were to change the main line part.
Plan A having failed, I attempted plan B which was to route up the leg as before but dissolve the route and fix the assembly. This would reduce the editability of the legs, but would still be effective otherwise. However, I can't seem to be able to dissolve a route sub-assembly, SW simply won't let me.
Plan C, is less elegant and introduces a few new problems. I could just assemble a leg traditionally, with mates and what not and add AC and AR points. This would work well, except the majority of the time, legs will include a short length of tube and/or lengths of pipe. These lengths could be awkward to model specifically for each manifold. I suppose I could assemble the leg as two seperate assemblies separated where the pipe or tube would go, but again this is awkward.
If anyone has come across a problem like this before, or has any insight I would very much appreciate it.
~Craig

P.S. I apologise for the somewhat rambling nature of this post, I'm thinking through the problem as a write.

Outcomes