2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2008 9:20 AM by 1-8MMYCK

couple of questions about splines

1. solidworks creates grate splines (very flexible and easy to use), but what order are they?
      2. are there any ways to change the order?
        • couple of questions about splines
          Andy Fraser
          Hi Tim,

This is a long answer to an easy question.

1. but what order are they?

In all versions prior to SW2009, the ones you sketch by hand are cubics (degree 3 or 4th order however you prefer to think of it)

In 2009, a 2 point spline with no constraints will be order 2 (a line) and a 3 point spline will be order 3 (a parabola).

If you convert an edge, depending on how it was generated, that spline could be of any order. Similarly, you can import splines of any order though I think openGL may only support up to order 16.

2. are there any ways to change the order?

In general, no. Splines already have many options and we didn't want to add extra complexity just because we can. Do you often need to change order?

There is a special case. If you have a 2 point spline, and there is a tangency and equal curvature at each end, you have the 'raise degree' option in the property manager. This will toggle the order between 4 and 6.

Regards,
          Andy.

• couple of questions about splines
            thanks for your quick response andy. as i said splines are one of my favorite tools in solidworks, just wanted to know whats going under the hood and find an answer to a mystery never found in the documentation.