8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2008 6:36 PM by 1-A5CHD1

checkin error

Sachin Nagane
      When I am trying to checkin an assmbly, PDM works is displaying following message
      "The latest version of file is not available on your local archive server. All attempts to download file from remote servers failed"

fom my initial investigatio it appears to me that if one of the components exists at multiple levels in the same assembly , PDMworks is trying to checkin multiple times.

Also PDMworks is not identifying the components which are already checked in and trying to check them in again. I can unselect the the checken in components manually and then checkin works fine. SHOULd NOT PDMWORKS IDENTIFY WHICH OF THE COMPONENTS asre already in PDM ??
        • checkin error
          Wayne Tiffany
          We have been chasing this one for some time since we updated to PDMWE2008. I have determined that when this occurs, I can get everythimg to check in if I start with any parts that have never been checked in before. Then I do the assy's that have never been checked in before. Then I can pick the drawing and take everything, and it works. I have duplicated this several times on different machines. But I can't just reproduce it!

After reading your post, I thought maybe I had missed a key factor in that the part has to be used in more than one level. Tried to reproduce it - nope.

Does this trigger any more thoughts on your end?

WT
            • checkin error
              This is a known issue in our environment and I have worked with support to try to get to the bottom of it. I never did find out what exactly causes it, but I have been told that it is slated to be fixed for SP4.

To find the offending file, look in the admin tool and view the server log. You'll see the error, and in the description, you'll see the File ID. In the data directory of your file vault on the server there are directories from 0-F. The last digit of the File ID is the directory that contains the folder of the part that is giving you issues.

So a File ID of 0x7763 resides in LocationOfVaultData\3\000076e3. If you open index.xml, you'll see the filename of the part that you need to check in first and everything should work after that.

What is happening is that the version uid in index.xml is not being written correctly. When the client attempts to check in a file, the server is looking for a filename and version uid of the file you are checking in, and when it doesn't find it on the server, it fails.

This also causes issues with replication.

I could post a query that will help find the correct version to put into index.xml if anyone wants it, or you could ask support for their ArchiveConsistency tool that corrects it for you.
                • checkin error
                  Wayne Tiffany
                  We have run the tool like this: "C:\Program Files\PDMWorks Enterprise\ArchiveConsistency_x64.exe" /indexrepair" and in the latest test case, did not fix our problem. We had done this before and the machine that had the problem at the time, then was able to check in normally. However, this time it didn't, which casts a shadow on the previous test.

You mentioned that this might be fixed in SP4, but if that were the case then I would think it would have received an SPR. We haven't been notified of receiving an SPR, nor do I see anything for PDMWE in the fixed SPR list for SP4. Where did that info come from?

WT
                  • checkin error
                    Sachin Nagane
                    Hi Lee,

COuld you please post the the quesry to put in index.xml

Thanks .

Hi Wayne,

I tried to duplicate my initual investigation regarding "part has to be used in more than one level" . I could not reproduce the error. So that might not be the cause.
                • checkin error
                  It came from support, SPR 425611.
                  • checkin error
                    As I said, I spent a lot of time working with support on this issue. We spent a full day on the phone doing remote sessions and I am confident that SolidWorks knows about the issue and has in all likelihood fixed it. It's SP4 of PDMWE.

The support I was given was remarkable to say the least.