3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2008 4:11 PM by Andres Girardot

Thermal Analysis Submodeling

Glen Dobson
      Does anyone have any experience of submodeling with cosmos? I've been given advice in the past that in theory cosmos does not need to use submodeling as you can refine the mesh in the areas of interest. In my particular case the ratio of component sizes is pretty huge. 1 micron to 30mm. The application is thermal analysis of lasers and we need to see what's going on inside the laser as well as the how the peltier performs. Also, any best practices for modeling a peltier would also be helpful.

Many thanks,

Glen.
        • Thermal Analysis Submodeling
          Hi Glen.

Are you using CosmosWorks or FloWorks? You can use mesh refinement with CosmosWorks in the areas of interest but there are limits.
              Glen Dobson
              Hi Stuart,

I'm using CosmosWorks Pro. I haven't even bothered trying to refine the mesh where I need because I know it would either fail (due to the high numbers of elements) or take forever. I don't want to have huge run time especially when I'm just at the beginning of the project.

Cheers,

Glen.
              Andres Girardot
              Hi Glen,

I am currently working on a thermal simulation for an LED where the ration of LED Chip to Heat sink is pretty big. I got around this problem by using a mixed mesh and creating shells for the smallest elements. Shell meshing will created a 2D elements instead of the 3D solid element used in a solid mesh. Using shells is a little more complex as you have to create bond contact gaps between the shells and the solid bodies. So far I have been able to obtain the same results (to a certain degree of accuracy) between a solid mesh vs. a mixed mesh.

Hope it helps