3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 12:04 PM by Ali Bayati

Problem on Loading in Simulating an Offshore Cargo Basket

Ali Bayati

Hi everyone,

I'm newbie to this forum & SWX,  and just wanted to simulate an Offshore Cargo Basket, which has been modeled using SWX-Weldment, as the following figs:

3dv01.png

3dv02.png

I covered the base, using a structural member (Profile: 1000x3mm).

When I wanted to apply load ( uniform Pressure ) to the above plate, a message appeared that this plate couldn't be applied by loading, because this member is a beam.

Should I choose another approach in modeling phase? (using shell-element, etc.)
      Is it possible to apply load on a weldment member ?

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

P.S.: The goal is stress analyzing and optimizing the structure, and also checking if the weld beads pass or fail while loading.

• Re: Problem on Loading in Simulating an Offshore Cargo Basket
          Jim Sculley

You can right click the body that is being treated as a beam in the Simulation tree and select Treat as Solid:

Sindre Sorhus

Hi Ali, just a suggestions from me.

The plate can be treated as a shell if you are interested in stress and deformation of it. To treat it as a shell element, you first rmb the body and treat it as a solid then rmb again and select Define Shell on selected faces.

If you're not interested in the plate for other purpose than adding the load, you can exclude the plate from the analysis and add the load to the cross beams directly instead.

Ali Bayati

Thanks to Sindre Sorhus & Jim Sculley

I remodel the basket as follow:

For beams, I've made SWX to treat them as solid.

and Put loads on the bottom beams.

Stress Plot as follow:

1.png

and Deflection plot as follow:

2.png

And the mesh-plot, for one padeye:

3.png

Is there a better meshing method for this particular structure? (currently 153'555 elements in model)

And the next question:

In real world situation, this basket normally hanged by crane, using a 4-legged slings ... for the fixtures in modeling, I've fix all 4 holes of the padeyes ... but in real world, the situation is different ... How can I apply the real situation of the fixtures in the model ?

And the final question:
              How can I model some weld-lines (fillet & groove welding) for this model ? and how can I analyze those weld lines in SWX ?

Thank you in advance.