9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2008 5:17 PM by Stephen Bittner

Background disappeared?

Stephen Bittner
      My blue background arbitrarily changed to gray, and now my RealView Graphics globe is grayed out.

What happened?
        • Background disappeared?
          Charles Culp
          Do you have "use software OpenGL" turned on? My boss used to have it occasionally come on by itself.
              Stephen Bittner
              Hmmm....yes, that box is checked, but it is also "grayed" out...and I'm unable to uncheck it.

I'm not sure if it has always been setup like that however.

The color issue....for some reason, the software changed settings on it's own. I had the "Image File" checked under the "System Options" - "Colors" tab, and it was set on "Use document scene brackground" when I just checked it.

However, I still have the RealView Graphics globe grayed out.
                  Charles Culp
                  Having Software OpenGL will automatically cause all the problems you have described. Close all open part/dwg/assy files, and then go into your system properties, and turn off software OpenGL. Everything should work again.
                      Stephen Bittner
                      I closed everything, shut down the software, restarted it.....<br /><br />That Software OpenGL is still checked and greyed out.  <boggle><br /><br />How do I change it?
                          Wayne Tiffany
                          If you have SW started and no documents open, and the software OGL box is checked, then SW is telling you that your video system won't handle the load. If that box wasn't checked before, and it now is, that usually means that a driver changed or the card is failing, etc.

We had a case once where we were running some machines with FireGL cards and loading the latest SW approved driver made that box check. Wasted a day finding that one, by the way.
                              Stephen Bittner
                              I didn't update any drivers.

I was able to load some models I did last week, and they still appear to have the RealView textures applied....like wood grains and the like.

However, I just created a new part and tried to drop the textured rubber graphic on it, and while it turned the part black, the texture was not there.

The verdict is a failing video card?
                                  Wayne Tiffany
                                  It may be as simple as the fan on the card is slow and dirty, thereby not cooling properly. When you load a previous part, go look at the SOGL checkbox to see if it's checked.

WT
                                      Stephen Bittner
                                      Yeah, the box is checked on an assembly I did months ago...and I know it was working then.

The computer is working fine other than this issue. I'll check for dust and dirt just in case though.

Stephen Bittner
                                          I ended up having to perform a registry edit to solve this problem. Once I did that, I started SW and the problem was gone. Then, I did the Copy Settings Wizard to restore my settings, and the problem reappeared.

Likewise, I remembered that I recently performed a Copy Settings Wizard to save my settings...right around the same time the Use Software Open GL error appeared. So, it appears that that the Copy Settings Wizard corrupted my settings somehow.

Bottom line is that I lost all of my current settings, and I now have to redo them.