Jessica Preston

Excessive loading and rebuilding times

Discussion created by Jessica Preston on Jun 17, 2008
Latest reply on Jul 7, 2008 by Mauricio Martinez-Saez
Hi,

I am currently working on a relatively simple model, it is essentially a squashed pipe with a cut profile (external ref to the where ever the pipe is going). The pipe is design table driven and has 148 configurations.

The pipe is used in an lower level assembly, and its cut profile references another lower level assembly. So that there is a top level assembly with two sub assemblies, and the pipe references a part in the other sub assembly.

The problem that I am having is that

1. Its really slow to load and save by it self. Solidworks some how manages to generate over 1gb of saved data for the pipe. This is still acceptable since there are so many configurations. But when loading and saving the assembly, it takes hours. Even when all the unnessary parts are either supressed or light weight, and only 5 parts (with only 2 having different configurations) are opened up.

2. When rebuilding, Solidworks doesn't seem to fully rebuild everything. For example the cut profile may be updated for 140 of the 148 pipes, but the remaining 8 is not updated.

Does any one have any suggestions or tips that may speed things up abit? Beside getting a better computer?

I also doubt that a faster computer would help, currently it takes 3 hours to save the pipe part, even a new computer with 3 times the speed, it would still take an hour. There must be some trick that can be used to get past this problem.

Outcomes