3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2008 6:39 PM by Tim Hutchins

Thermostat Control

Tim Hutchins
      I'm trying to do an analysis using the thermostat feature in a thermal analysis. I'm having two problems:

1. To define an initial temperature, I've selected all the faces of my part, but it still seems to start at 0K. I've had to pull the part into an assembly so I can pick the actual component in the initial temp. selection. Is there a way to select the entire part to apply the initial temp?

2. My analysis seems to ignore the thermostat. I can probe the thermostat location and see that it blows right through the cut-off temperatures. Why would that happen? I have only one heat power source in this analysis.
        • Thermostat Control
          Bill McEachern
          you need to select the body or the part oget teh inital temp to apply to the whole thing and youneed to be doing a transient analysis to have things change in time....ie respond to the nodal value that is hte thermostat. Hope that helps.
            • Thermostat Control
              Tim Hutchins
              I am doing a transient analysis.

I cannot get it to select the whole part or body when I'm analyzing in the part only. I can only select an entire body when I'm in an assembly. Not really a big problem, just annoying.

The bigger problem is the non-response to the thermostat command. No matter what I do, it just blows right through my thermostat set at 70 C and goes on to equilibrium at 80C without ever dropping back.
                • Thermostat Control
                  Tim Hutchins
                  I have found the answer to this problem, or at least one of them. I still can't figure out how to apply an initial temp to a part alone. I have to put it in an assembly and apply it to the component.

For the thermostat issue, our retailer helped me. We found that the vertex I was using was not on a node. Once we picked a vertex on a node, this function worked great. Hope this helps someone in the future.