10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2016 12:51 PM by Ryan McVay

vault view setup not listing archive vaults

Ryan McVay

I have a 2016 vault setup in a test environment. I am able to add archive vault views on the server itself. Everything appears to work accordingly on Test server. When I attempt to add a vault view on another machine and try to connect the server is found. When I go to select the vault view listing nothing is showing up. I noticed that test server has the Broadcast as Manual. What I am I missing here?

Capture.PNG

• Re: vault view setup not listing archive vaults
          Michael Dekoning

I'm not sure how to tell a server to broadcast its availability (our IS team handles this).  If it doesn't appear in the list, you can click the Add... button and enter the server name. We create a CVS, view setup, file for the user to run that automatically takes care of the local view setup. The are instructions on how to do this in the installation guide.

Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Ryan, can you show us screenshots of the next steps of the View setup dialog? Also can you go into the Administration tool on a machine, right-click a vault and click "Create local view"?

Thanks

Prasad

Ryan McVay

The next step would be to select vaults that are available on the test server This server hosts: sql, the archive and license services for the test environment. But that's my problem. They aren't showing up when I'm adding the vault views to the test workstation.

They are definitely all there as I've done a significant amount of testing directly on the server. Now I'm attempting client hardware testing and this is where I'm stuck.

When I'm on the server and select add vaults, the vault view dialog does say that the server is broadcasting. I'm stumped on this one.

Richard Bremmer

If there are no vault views available you have installed the wrong client product. You have installed PDM standard when you need PDM Professional.

Ryan McVay

Richard Bremmer Thanks for the suggestion. It does appear that I have the correct PDM Client (107MB) with Item Explorer. At this point I had some other issues and have removed all the Dassault System products including SW composer, eDrawings and SW. What a mess this has been. The Composer uninstall has files locked inside the SolidWorks root folder etc...Honestly having worked with other high end CAD installs and unistalls this software suite is truly an ugly mess to deal with. But as it stands right now I purged the registry and deleted most of the files/folders (that I can). I'm attempting a new install. Funny thing here is that Windows said that SW was unistalled...there was not installation entry in the control panel...yet there it was still working when I launched the shortcut....

Ryan McVay

I found that my issue was indeed the installation of the wrong client. Well, actually root cause was the license I was using. Since I was used to EPDM 2013 I was expecting things to work similarly in EPDM 2016. But that's not the case. In EPDM 2013 you had a separate license for EPDM so I was able to use a SW Home use license for the SW version testing and then use the EPDM license file for EPDM.

You can't do that anymore since EPDM Client is now buried inside of the SW installation and the SW installation looks at your SW license code to see what you can or cannot install. To top that off EPDM Standard is checked as default..which means that another thing you have to tweak to get the correct install.

Yeah, I'm whining. But it was much simpler and quicker to do installs than it is now!

Tim Webb

Hi Ryan,

What I think you are experiencing is a basic cross domain issue but from what you've described, it isn't a "problem" as far as I can tell as long as you can actually add the server manually. This is very common.

Check the knowledge base for S-013829. It will help clarify things a bit and could help you set the PDM policy. Here's a link (hopefully this works for you). You can read more about this on the installation CD under "About policies and WAN environment"

Hope this helps,

Tim CEPA

http://www.equivaq.com

Charley Saint

Hey Ryan,

It's getting blocked by subnetting. It's really common to setup servers on say the 192.168.100.x network and put clients on a 192.168.0.x network. This creates broadcast domains and blocks broadcasts from one subnet into another. That's why you're seeing it broadcasting on the server when you add the client but not on a workstation. So basically you'll have to tell clients what the servername is or create the CVS files that Michael Dekoning mentioned.

Ryan McVay

Thanks guy. In an attempt to change the install my two different license codes must have mucked things up. It took over 8 hrs to get SW "off" the workstation. I'm pretty sure the issue was caused by the Composer install..it does some interesting things with font files and didn't remove the software like it should when I asked the install to uninstall it. The font folders can't be deleted and they reside inside the ..SolidWorks\Hoops\folder..

It was just a big mess yesterday. At one point I thought I was good with SW wiped from the workstation but some residuals where still there somewhere and I could never get a clean fresh install..but that is another problem all together. I sure wished they would not have buried EPDM and things like Composer inside of the SW core software install. Especially, Composer...it's not even a SW "product".

I'll have my IT guy take a look at your responses to see if subnet is the issue. It just might be. I'll let the group know our findings.