9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2016 2:21 PM by Kurt Bonk

Replace existing drawing format?

Jim Steinmeyer

Ok, things are not behaving as I expected them to. I have a project almost finished and we have decided to change our drawing sheet formats. No problem I think. Simply left click / select sheet properties and browse to the new format. That has worked every time in the past. Now, nothing even after a couple of Ctrl.Q rounds.

The work around has been to set the new format, create a new sheet that comes in with the correct format, and drag the existing views to the new sheet. I then delete the old sheet and rename the new one. It works but takes much more time than it should. Does anyone have an idea as to what I may be missing?

An additional question would be dealing with the sheet numbering. For all sheetmetal parts we create a flat pattern sheet with no format that is used for the DXF. Is there a way to get the "sheet 1 of 1" counter to not count the DXF sheet instead of reading "sheet 1 of 2"?

Thank you

Untitled.png

• Re: Replace existing drawing format?
          Glenn Schroeder

For the first question, I don't know why it isn't working.  Grasping at straws, was the drawing file last saved with the same SW version as the sheet format?  Have you tried switching to another sheet format, then the one you want?

For the second one, it's been asked here before and I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to make SW ignore a particular sheet when numbering.  The only fix I know of would be to over-ride the notes (remove the property link and enter the text).

Jim Steinmeyer

I don't know what to think now. I tried changing to an older format and it worked great even without a rebuild. SO I tried the new format again and again it failed to work. So I tired a third format of a different size and it worked............. About the fifth time I tried the new format it finally worked.

I did down load and install the macro because that might be faster.

Then I just over rode the sheet number and went on.

Thank you Glenn and John.

John Stoltzfus

Jim - I didn't read everything in your post - I use multiple sheet drawings and I use cover sheets and then my drawings, what you need are a few macros that I use:

CustomSheetNumber written by Leon Wurr (This is the one that renames the Sheet 1 of ...)  You may need to change your title block a little or change the location within the macro where the note needs to go..

Rebuild Referenced File written by Deepak Gupta  (I use this one to rebuild the drawings, it opens and rebuilds and closes each drawing view)  Basically an automatic ctrl Q

Rename Configurations  - Not sure where I got this one, there are no credits in the body of the macro (I use this macro to change the configuration name "Default" file name, so when I'm in an assembly or a part file I run this macro to rename  (I use this macro before the Rename Sheet Macro)

Rename All Sheets - written by Deepak Gupta - I use this macro to rename all my sheet tabs, it collects the name from the configuration property of the part or assembly, if you have multiple sheets for one assembly or item you need to manually rename those sheets. 

Export Drawing Sheets As PDF - written by Deepak Gupta - This is the last step for a multiple sheet drawing, the only issue is if there are multiple sheets of one assembly or one part then you need to manually save out those sheets..

Jim Steinmeyer

John,

Thank you, I will down load and try all of these. I am kind of resistant to using macros for standard  procedure because I personally have problems remembering to do extra steps so I like to have those steps performed automatically when ever possible. That way other users don't have to remember the steps I used to create a process or procedure.

Kind of like one of the guys here created a macro to set the density of a part and then create a weight custom property to place on the drawing. Since 99% of our manufactured parts are steel I prefer to set the material and create a custom property (weight = mass) in the start part. That way someone doesn't forget to run the macro if they change the size of the part or add a hole.

Since most if not all of our part drawings are one sheet and some have a DXF drawing as well the best option may be to create a "Formed Part" Template that defaults to 1 sheet only and another part template that has a functional counter. But again that relys on people remembering to use the right one which I would like to avoid as much as possible.

John Stoltzfus

Remembering to use the macros can be an issue, took me awhile to get used to it myself.  That is one of the issues using multiple drawing sheets, especially if you are creating a new design, because obviously you add or delete sheets till the final design.  I did forget to mention that that the Leon Wurr macro is set up that you need to have the name "COVER" in the sheet tab, so my sheet tabs are named COVER-ECR or COVER-ECN etc, the macro looks for the word COVER and omits that sheet from the numbering system.  The nice thing about this macro is you can have multiple cover sheets that includes all the custom properties for that project, so you can very easily create a work order template and have that part of the drawing package, that way everything is right there.  I did stop using the Design Journal, unless I have a document that I need to attach to the part or assembly etc.

The issue that I have had in the past was having a 100 unique part assembly and a 100 sheets that needed to be opened every time you make a major change in a design, I prefer to open one drawing file for the main assembly and all my subassemblies and parts are right there, no need to open and close all those drawings, I only list the interchangeable components in the BOM not within the drawing pack.  Multiple sheet drawings can bog down the system and run slower....

Kurt Bonk

John, Ohoh, would you share your drawing package along with some tips on how to build your own?

thanks Kurt

John Stoltzfus

Your own what - drawing templates or macros?

If your talking macros, the credits mentioned above are some of the best macro guys, not me I just use them.

Kurt Bonk

Hi John, I am a independent, looking to make a series of drawing templates where information can flow thru job and populate the drawing title block thu the job flow,  maybe with custom property manager .  IE: ROM (rough order of magnitude), Quote, Shop Drawing, Sub Contractor Drawing, (sheet metal, CNC parts, in house fabrication ) Assembly/Installation.  Just looking for some guidance on how others use SWKS, to make drawing packages. You can direct mail me if you want info private. Warm Regards