7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2008 11:05 PM by Mark Matthews

Reference Points

Mark Matthews
      I have made a series of reference points in the center of faces. In a sketch drawn on a plane made with those points I can initially make constraints to those points by starting and ending lines to them. If I delete the coincident constraints and then try and manually apply a coincident constraint I am not allowed to.

In summary:
      You can drag and make constraints to the reference points. Call this an implicit constraint.

You cannot apply constraints to reference points through manually selecting them and going through the constraints manager. Call this an explicit constraint.

So is this a bug or a severe limitation and should be reported as a bug?

I have sent it in to my VAR to see what they say.
        • Reference Points
          Charles Culp
          What do you mean by "try and manually apply a coincident constraint I am not allowed to."?

How did you try, were you able to "select" both points as expected? If you were, was there just no option in the feature manager? If there was an option in the feature manager, and you clicked it, did it return an error?
            • Reference Points
              Mark Matthews

Charles Culp wrote:

How did you try, were you able to "select" both points as expected? If you were, was there just no option in the feature manager? If there was an option in the feature manager, and you clicked it, did it return an error?

Yes you can select both the line and the reference point, but no options are presented in the relations manager.
                • Reference Points
                  Charles Culp
                  Ok.

Is this for a coincident relation? Try mapping the relation to a keyboard function (I have mine mapped to CTRL-SHFT-C). Then see if it will apply the relation that way. If not you might be lucky enough to get an error telling you the problem.
              • Reference Points
                Jerry Steiger
                Mark,

If I understand you correctly, the problem you are running into is that you can't select both the point and the end of the line. You have to drag the end of the line away from the point. Then you can apply a coincident constraint again.
                  • Reference Points
                    Mark Matthews
                    You can select both, you just don't get any options to constrain them. If you use the keyboard option like Charles suggested, you get the error message that the constraint would make the sketch unsolveable. Implicit constraints can be made. My VAR says to use the workaround of implicitly constraining sketch points on the points, then makeing my lines coincident with the sketch points. I had already figured that one out.

I've asked my VAR to send this in as a bug cause it is inconsitisent behavior of the constraints manager. VAR says SW will only come back and say it's behaving as designed (what???). I don't care how long it has been this way. It was broken; it is broken; and hopefully not ever shall be.