16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2018 8:33 AM by Matt Peneguy

what is the best way to run SW on a Mac laptop?

Richard Carson

How would you configure a Mac laptop to run SW?  Performance specs?

• Re: what is the best way to run SW on a Mac laptop?
          Anna Wood

I am a fan of Bootcamp with a Windows install.  Other will tell you Parallels is the cats meow.

Lots of threads to be searched for on this subject here on the forums.

Marc Celona

Hello,

I have been out of the CAD world for about 6 years now, prior to that I ran Autodesk inventor every day for 10 years. I am researching the latest CAD offerings and also exploring hardware options for a side business.  After owning both PC and MAC systems I have no interest in spending my own money on a PC based product ever again.  That being said, I'd like to purchase a new MacBook Pro to run CAD on. Based on my market survey I would also like to choose Solid works as my new CAD platform.  However I am very disappointed to see that Solid Works does not offer support even with the Boot Camp utility.  Meanwhile Solidwork's competitor Autodesk does.   See link  https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-Autodesk-Inventor-2019.html

I also find it misleading that the opening page of the solid works website displays what looks to be a MacBook pro and an iPad.

3D CAD Design Software 

I can't find any up to date discussion regarding the latest MAC hardware and its compatibility with the latest Solid Works software.  I am hoping you can offer resources, success stories and or advice for running Solid Works on a MAC with Boot Camp. Ultimately,  leading me to purchase Solid works.

Thank you

Marc 

Josh Brady

So... your market research says you should use SolidWorks, but your personal preference is not to purchase a tool that allows you to operate it effectively? 

Sounds like an amazing business plan! 

Matt Peneguy

And to follow up on what Josh said, if I found out that SW was devoting resources to supporting Mac hardware that could be used to make SW more stable and better, I'd be annoyed.  In my opinion, that would be a complete waste of those limited resources.

Marc Celona

Matt thanks for the heads up.  Sounds like SW has stability issues on PC based systems and a lack of resources.  Ill add that into my decision matrix.

While you may think its a waste of time to develop a stable system on MAC I can guarantee you there are people high up in SW that think otherwise.  Apple computers present a very large share of the market which equates to dollars! The systems hardware is completely capable of  handling CAD software and are very well made.  Any good Engineer should be able to respect  that.

Matt Peneguy

Sounds like SW has stability issues on PC based systems and a lack of resources. Ill add that into my decision matrix.

All complex software has its issues.  SW is pretty darn complex, and can do some amazing things.  But, if you are a power user, you will find things you want to see improved.  That is the case with all complex software.

Apple computers present a very large share of the market which equates to dollars!

Not really.  And if it were my company, I definitely wouldn't go after that market share.  A very long time ago these lines were drawn.  Engineering and business software is predominately on PCs and art/graphic design is done on Mac.  I thought everyone knew this...  Here's a breakdown of the market:

Completely rewrite their code to work on computers that comprise 12.5% of the market based on a chance some of those users would buy the software?  I doubt it and wouldn't support that idea.  When the software is more expensive than the hardware, you always choose the best hardware for the software.  Hey, if I were running Photoshop for my job, I'd own a Mac. 

The systems hardware is completely capable of handling CAD software and are very well made. Any good Engineer should be able to respect that.

I never questioned the hardware capability, but that was a good swipe, none the less.

Marc Celona

Matt,

No doubt its complex and no doubt that comes with bugs, my comment was a bit sarcastic...  I suffered through those bug for 10 years as an Autodesk power user on top of the line PCs.  I know its a struggle well.   

Of course Windows "browsers" take up the market share.  Anyone doing a real market share analysis would know that data needs to be heavily filtered to show reflect real potential. I'm not asking SW to support running on an Amiga here... I'm talking about Apple!

I never asked SW to rewrite their code, that would be foolish.  But clearly SW does work on a MAC platform running a Windows partition. People are doing it and from what I understand it runs pretty well.   There are sacrifices to be made in that scenario but certainly each individual can consider them.  My complaint is that SW does not officially support it as their competitor does.  By offering minimal support and hardware recommendations they could minimize the difficulty for the customers willing to make the sacrifice.  Someone at SW knows it works!  I'm almost positive its a MAC on their home page! 

Christopher Culver

You are basing your hardware decision on your experience with a completely different CAD program, over the span of 10 years, ending 6 years ago? hrumph cough *moores law*, cough. .

I'm no code writer, but I'm sure it requires a tremendous amount of resources to add that full compatibility with MAC when in reality, it is probably a very small relative percentage of people that MUST run it on a MAC for whatever reason (when it runs perfectly fine on PC based systems that aren't as...proprietary with other hardware/software modules).

Josh Brady

What can I say... After 15+ years as a power user of SolidWorks on all manner of PCs and never having the issues that Mac snobs seem to complain about I guess I've become a bit... Blunt.  I'll agree if you say it's great hardware.  Although it's a little hard to understand your words due to the nasal tone resulting from paying through the nose for it.

If you'd said, "I need a Mac for my other [fill in the blank] and I just run SW sometimes" I could give you some credit.  "Wah wah wah, I hate PCs.  SolidWorks, why won't you support me turning my Mac into a PC to run your software?"

Pbbtth.

Glenn Schroeder

Marc Celona wrote:

Matt thanks for the heads up. Sounds like SW has stability issues on PC based systems and a lack of resources. Ill add that into my decision matrix.

While you may think its a waste of time to develop a stable system on MAC I can guarantee you there are people high up in SW that think otherwise. Apple computers present a very large share of the market which equates to dollars! The systems hardware is completely capable of handling CAD software and are very well made. Any good Engineer should be able to respect that.

Do you have personal knowledge of that, or are you just assuming that someone important must agree with you?

Marc Celona

Thanks Josh,

you have an amazing personality!

Christopher Culver

I don't know why anyone would purchase a software package that has the power and associated costs of SWX, yet ignores the recommended hardware to make it run, or even function properly. It can be quirky software, like any CAD software, so using the recommended system requirements, video cards, settings etc will make any troubleshooting much more simple, or even possible.

I'm having a hard time finding an appropriate analogy but it's like buying a snap-on socket, and using a set of harbor freight vice-grips to turn it?

I've always been intrigued with the whole Mac/iPhone superiority complex.

Marc Celona

Chris,

I do respect your "follow the manufacturers recommendation" mind set.  Typically I follow them to the T as well.  In this case I believe SW could make recommendations but they choose not to. 

The analogy you chose is hilarious but not the one I would choose or the one I see.

Consider yourself building a remote home off the grid.   You can go to the local hardware store and buy the PC of generators made by Briggs and Stratton.  It spits out 60Hz ,110 VAC, Perfect!  Everything you plug into it will work great!  Well if you head down to Charlie's Specialty Power outlet you can buy the Mac of Generators! A Bosch, for 30% more and it comes with additional hot water capability.  The only problem is it spits out 220VAC at  50Hz.  Guess we are going to need a converter to run this set up....  The question is it worth it???  Cost, reliability, functionality, efficiency, failure modes all weighed in here HAHA.     

Its not a complex in my eyes its fact.  Apple user interfaces are design similar across all products, the design considerations in packaging are far superior and far more refined.   After using both PC and MAC for a long time now (Work/Personnel) Apple products are hands down smoother running and more reliable.  I'm not alone out there;)

Arthur McRae

Richard Carson wrote:

How would you configure a Mac laptop to run SW? Performance specs?

I wouldn't configure a Mac laptop to run SW.  I prefer not to run SW on a laptop if I can avoid it.