2 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2008 5:28 PM by Jeremy Schmidt

Workflow and Serial Numbers

Jeremy Schmidt
      I don't know about the rest of you, but I have found that if there is a way around a rule, our users will find it. Keeping that in mind, is it possible to automatically assign an uneditable file name on save or through a workflow transition? I know that you can set the user option to have it pull the next available serial number, but as far as I can tell, the user has both the ability to turn off the option and to change the generated file name.

Thanks for any suggestions,
      Jeremy
        • Workflow and Serial Numbers
          Jeff Sweeney
          Stupid users, an administrator's job would be so much easier without them!

I suppose you could remove the "Add/rename file" right. Then the only way they could add files is via a PDMWE template. The template would assign the file name.

Seems the solution creates more problems than it solves. ??

See if you can live with the setting that forces all file names to be unique and trust your users. (Thus it isn't tragic if they do rename the file.) It will make your life much easier.
            • Workflow and Serial Numbers
              Jeremy Schmidt
              Unfortunately, I'm coming to the same conclusion that the solution creates more problems. Do you or does anyone else know if a workflow transition can be used to rename a file using a serial number, or if there is any way at all to rename a file using a serial number. Ideally, I'd like to be able to automatically assign the serial number on a workflow transition and have it update the references in any assemblies it's used it. I'd assume that these assemblies would need to be checked out to the user doing the rename.

Jeremy