13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2017 11:00 AM by Greg Sims

Equations trying to solve for suppressed components in SW-2016 (In-context Assy)

Tyler Kemp

So I have taken this up thus far with my VAR who agreed with me that there was in fact an issue , one that he couldn't solve himself and therefore he forwarded it too a tech at Solidworks Corp.

I'll describe the issue and then give the Tech's response to the problem, or his "solution" anyway, which was no solution at all. If you can't tell, Im a little frustrated at the lack of assistance we pay awfully good money for. So here I am yet again, going out on my own to try and solve another problem with the software.

Anyway, we use alot of in-context assemblies where i work and after upgrading to 2016 (SP3) I noticed that whenever i suppress a component in my assembly that has an equation linking it too anther part or sketch dimension it doesn't suppress those equations, rather it says they can't be solved and lights up my equation folder with a red X.

(suppress a component)

(get this result)

As you can see, instead of suppressing the equation that relates to the part, SW is still trying to solve for it and it is creating the "syntax error" .

I have seen this happen to me several times so far, in simple and more complex In-context assemblies. The one i submitted to SW was the latter , it had more equations and was more reliant on them for the overall shape of the part.

(This is an example of that assembly, where the (6) equations that arent solving at the bottom represent (2) parts that are currently suppressed in my tree)

You can see to the left that there are (3) configurations of this assembly available. Deleting these equations to eliminate the problem is not a viable solution. This was designed to be a versatile assembly where you could make changes to the design after initially configuring it dimensionally.

This was Tech Supports response to my inquiry.

"These are all correct for the same reason; the referenced entities are not in the assembly or they are suppressed.

I am going to close this SR again now.

Regards,
      SOLIDWORKS Technical Support

So as you might imagine, calling it correct when obviously there is a problem doesn't seem like a good answer. As a courtesy I removed his name as I am not here to cause trouble, just too get this fixed.

Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Tyler Kemp

• Re: Equations trying to solve for suppressed components in SW-2016 (In-context Assy)
          John Stoltzfus

Feel for ya - I have completely stopped using equations for this same reason, here I can open old models and equation errors all over the place, surely they were good when the model was completed initially.  Fortunately I don't have to deal with nearly as many as you show, just one or two, so it's no big deal to delete them and correct the model.

Did you mess with the following settings?? Not sure if it'll help or not...

Plus another reason I use a sketch part as my layout sketch when dealing with parametric assemblies..

• Re: Equations trying to solve for suppressed components in SW-2016 (In-context Assy)
              Tyler Kemp

Thanks John, that's certainly sad that you aren't able to use one of the most powerful functions just because it now functions poorly. But thank you for the tip, I haven't tried that yet. I suppose if I can just get the tree to be friendly maybe I can deal with it.

John Stoltzfus

Sad, yeah possibly, but no hair off my knuckles.  I have used SW for a long time and went through all kinds of different approaches to my initial design intent, my biggest issues have always been the automatic stuff, equations, configurations, design tables, with what I feel are improper SW rebuilds. Countless times I have had assemblies with parts that had configurations that weren't properly rebuilt, I don't know anything about the script side of SW, which may make me ignorant enough to start my design intent the wrong way. 

For me it's like this, when you feel pain in design, it's not the same as the "No Pain, No Gain" comments, for me it's "No Pain, No Pain", so I go towards the side of the least resistant or the side of the least possible errors, but be able to have good designs that work and have parametric change availability.  I feel that when you design something, you should setup your design to have parametric movement, but also be able to delete any item in the feature tree and the only errors that should pop up are a few mate errors, which can be quickly deleted, but you shouldn't have any feature tree errors anywhere else.  Just my 2 cents

Tyler Kemp

Unfortunately, changing those settings didn't help, but thanks again.

I will say, if i just hide the equation folder in the feature manage tree, then it doesn't show up as having any problems, but I'm not sure that is going to help when there actually IS a problem.

Greg Sims

I was having the same problem. However, I found I relatively decent workaround. The values in the equations can be configuration specific:

equations.jpg

So in the configuration where the component is UNSUPPRESSED, change the equation to be configuration-specific. Now change configurations to where the component is SUPRESSED, and change the value to a hard number, then make sure the equation is set to configuration-specific and click OK. At that point, you should be good. Worked for me.

-Greg