AnsweredAssumed Answered

failure to knit -sometimes

Question asked by John Kreutzberger on May 29, 2008
Latest reply on May 30, 2008 by Jerry Steiger
I was designing a mold with a complex parting line last week. I make my parting surfaces manually because I seldom like the automatic parting surfaces that SW generates. That means that when I create my shut off surfaces, I allow SW to knit the results. Then I create the parting surfaces.

I have been in the habit of bringing the molded part into a new assembly after completing the parting surface. I have gotten used to not knitting it manually to both the core and cavity surfaces in the context of the part. Rather, I copy the parting surface and the core (or cavity) surface into my new part file in the assembly and knit them there. On the last job, I did this and found that they would not knit. Then I went back to the part to see where the problem was and fix it. Just for the heck of it I tried to knit the surfaces in the part file and they knit with no difficulty. Therefore, I went back and made a copy of the parting surface and did my knitting for both sides in the context of the molded part. Then-back to my assembly file and copied the knitted surfaces. did my surface cut and completed the design.

My question is: why would they knit in the part, but not in blank part being edited in the assembly?

Outcomes