5 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2009 4:32 PM by Chris Fawcett

Autosize command not always available

Bill Rose
      This is a strange one. I open a new assembly and insert a single part on the origin. The planes are whatever size there are from the new assembly. I RMB click one of the assembly's planes expecting to see 'Autosize' in the menu but it's not there. If I manually resize one of the planes, that plane's RMB menu now shows 'Autosize' but the other two don't. I must do at least a minor manual resize before I can autosize. Is there some good reason for this? I don't remember previous versions acting this way.
        • Autosize command not always available
          Jim Wilkinson
          Hi Bill,

This is how it has always worked. If Autosize is not on the menu, then the plane is set to have auto-sizing behavior. If you manually size a plane by dragging, it is no longer set to automatically size itself. Then selecting Autosize from the RMB will put it back to have the autosizing behavior.

I hope this helps,
          Jim
              Bill Rose
              Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I had not noticed that behavior before. May I sugest that autosize be made available when you open an empty assembly since it has no way to autosize until a part is inserted. It would save several mouse clicks and drags -- you wouldn't have to touch each plane in order to use the tool.

Thanks again.....Bill
                  Jim Wilkinson
                  Hi Bill,

There are only two states for a plane to be in; either it can be autosizing or it is not autosizing. The absence of the Autosize option on the RMB means it is in an autosizing state. The templates that you create an assembly from are set to have the planes autosizing (unless you have dragged them to make them manually sized before saving the templates).

So, the planes in the assembly are already autosizing without you needing to do the steps that you are suggesting. In theory, they should automatically size to the contents of the assembly as you add parts (at least after a rebuild). However, what I have found is that adding parts does not trigger the planes to autosize nor does hitting rebuild after adding parts. The steps that you are doing are turning autosizing off and then back on again which triggers them to rebuild as you change them to autosizing. If you move parts and hit rebuild, then the planes update. I need to look into why they are not updating after just adding parts. It may be that we don't mark anything as needing to be rebuilt after just adding parts.

Thanks,
                  Jim
                      Bill Rose
                      Thanks Jim,

That's a good explanation of how it should work. I didn't remember having this issue with past versions so maybe it wasn't the lack of an 'Autosize' command but the fact that it wasn't needed because it was autosizing properly before 2008. I seem to remember before there was an autosize command, I'd make sure my templates had very small planes so I could at least find them without zooming way out.

.............Bill
                  Chris Fawcett
                  I'm having an issue with this also. But I never get the autosize menu, no mater what I do. I can drag the plane handles around and I still never get the autosize. Any thoughts?

Cj