4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2008 9:27 PM by Christina Seay

Drawing Templates in 2008 - *.DRWDOT

Robert Hoover
      Hi All,

I like to have custom headers and footers on my drawings. I've tried to create a new drawing and then define the header/footer in the Print Dialog and then save the drawing as the default template Draw.DRWDOT. However, when I create a new drawing after this operation, the header and footer are blank for each new drawing. Does Solidworks 2008 save the header/footer details in the template or do I have to create my header/footer for every new drawing? (I hope not!)

Thanks,

Rob
        • Drawing Templates in 2008 - *.DRWDOT
          Eddie Cyganik

Robert,

Header/Footer information is typically handled by your "printer set-up". Mine seems to work fine and print the same information all the time. Of course, the information is simple and does not involve any SolidWorks specific data.

If you really need the information all the time, then you could add the requirements outside the drawing border but still on the paper. This would allow you to include SW info.

Christina Seay
            Eddie, Do you have any recommendations on how to do this with printer setup? We are just wanting to be able to print the time/date it was printed on the drawings, so no SW specific data.

We're also writing a custom AutoPlot routine since we are using a combination of AutoCad and SolidWorks, so if there is a way to add the header/footer time & date to the drawing with VB.NET that would be great too. We haven't been able to find a good way to do a header/footer or a watermark/overlay.. and we're hoping to be able to open the drawings in SW QuickView to be able to print them faster.. which means that making the program update a block on the drawing with the current time/date would be out of the question.

Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

Matthew Lorono

Christina Seay wrote:

Eddie, Do you have any recommendations on how to do this with printer setup? We are just wanting to be able to print the time/date it was printed on the drawings, so no SW specific data.

We're also writing a custom AutoPlot routine since we are using a combination of AutoCad and SolidWorks, so if there is a way to add the header/footer time & date to the drawing with VB.NET that would be great too. We haven't been able to find a good way to do a header/footer or a watermark/overlay.. and we're hoping to be able to open the drawings in SW QuickView to be able to print them faster.. which means that making the program update a block on the drawing with the current time/date would be out of the question.

Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

I made a macro that will allow you to put the current time and date on a drawin when you print it if you have annotation notes with the custom prorperty links set up: http://sw.fcsuper.com/index.ph...downloaddetails&lid=43

Maybe you can use some of the code to help you in what you are doing?
                Christina Seay
                Thank-You Matthew for that... I might use some of that if I can't manage to find our "ideal" solution to this problem.

The only problems that I had with that code was that it errors out if the drawing is opened in QuickView Mode, and when I tried the open it in lightweight like normal, the drawing is Read-Only thanks the PDM and that caused it to error out too.

The biggest problem with not being able to put the info in the header/footer in Read-Only mode is because we're using PDM Enterprise and we had to set it up so that after the drawings have been approved through management via the workflow (and ready to print) we have to have them locked down for editing, so they can't be checked out and opened with Write Access to them.

Definitely a tricky problem....