4 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2008 11:20 PM by Andres Girardot

Report Units

Andres Girardot
      I am running an static FEA study and generating a COSMOS report of an assembly. Although my document properties and COSMOS units options are set to English (IPS) all the information that shows under the Material Section and Appendix shows SI units. am I missing something??
        • Report Units
          Michael Atlas
          Try opening and viewing the stress strain curves for each material first and changing the units to English. This usually works for me.

Chalk it up to yet another inconsistency in the CosmosWorks/SolidWorks interface.

There are so many like this that it is virtually impossible to report them all when you are trying to get work done. You get to the point of just automatically working around them.

-Mike "having a good week with Cosmos"
          • Report Units
            Anthony Botting
            I have seen that in earlier versions of COSMOSWorks. What version do you have, and I can check the KB for a fix.
            • Report Units
              Anthony Botting
              I believe I have the latest behavior: apparently, by design. SW 08, SP3.1. SW Assembly units in MMGS, CW units set to English (IPS), CW material units set to SI. Report output: locations in space in SW Assembly units (MMGS); Mesh size in SW Assembly units; stress, displacement, forces, moments are in CW IPS units; material units in SI. Interesting test: two parts, same material. What do you get in the report when one part's material was last set to IPS and the other's material was set to SI in the material property dialog? You get both in mass and volume calculations for each part, but you get SI for the material properties.
              • Report Units
                Andres Girardot
                I have CW 2007. The behavior shown in the application starts with the material selection in SW. A material is assign to the part were the SW unit settings under document options is set to English(IPS). In the SW application if you happen to review your material all the material properties are shown as IPS. The problem occurs in CW. Although the Unit setting under document options is set to IPS and units are set to IPS under the General CW Options dialog box the report shows mass and volume for each component in the assembly in SI Units.

After working with the application for a period of time I had to assign material properties to each component in the CW application although they were set up before in the SW model. To make things worst once you right-click the component which you want to assign the material to and go to the materials dialog box, when you try to change the units to IPS it does change the units but it doesn't convert the present values which are in SI to IPS.

This is really bad, shouldn't assigning material properties under the SW application reflect in CW? besides why doesn't the CW material dialog box refresh and converts a previous SI value to IPS when you state that you want the material unit to be in IPS?