7 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2008 4:00 PM by Roland Schwarz

Visible / invisible surface

Balint Franko
      Hello,
      How do I get surfaces in a solid part visible / invisible?
      If I create surfaces from solid part (Knit>Surface Extend>) for construction, the result surfaces are visible, it show on the model. But in the final part I don't need surfaces to see, I want to hide, or change to invisible.
      How? Is there an option to set?
      Thanks,
        • Visible / invisible surface
          Mark Kaiser
          I have found the best way for me to do this is by deleting the surface bodies as the last step in creating the part. At the top of your feature manager tree (FMT), there will be a folder called 'surface bodies'. Expand this folder, right click on the surface bodies, and delete them.
            Kevin Quigley
            Why not just make the surface bodies invisible? In SW2008, select the body and when the LMM appears choose Hide.....
                Mark Kaiser
                I've had problems in the past when just hiding surfaces, they sometimes unhide themselves when I use the parts in assemblies. The only 100% way for me to get them not to show in assemblies was to delete the surface bodies in the parts. Can't say I've tried it in SW 08 though...
                Charles Culp
                Hiding and Deleting do the exact same thing *except* when it comes time to export your data. If you use the delete command, it will not export if you save as another file format. I learned the hard way that you can accidentally export other bodies when you save-as.

Generally, I will just hide bodies that I don't end up using later. Then, if a part is ever going to be exported, and often when I release a part for production, I will use the "delete body" to ensure something down the line doesn't get messed up. Hiding uses less processor on rebuilds!
                    Roland Schwarz
                    Hiding and deleting are the same thing except for the fact that they are different.

Hiding just makes a surface body invisible. It is still present, and can still be used for future features (it can even be selected for copy or offset from feature tree while invisible). It is still regenerated, and it still contributes to the model's surface count. It can be accidentally included when exporting, vexing import efforts at the receiving end. The body is still included in the parasolid portion of the model file, adding to the file size.

Deleting a body (surface or solid) removes the body from further use or regeneration. This can be advantageous for many reasons. The body is no longer included in the file's parasolid data, reducing file size. The body can no longer be referenced by future features, which can be useful for preventing problems like lost or misdirected references. For export, deleted bodies are simply not present to be accidentally exported.
                    Bal,

You can just show/hide them by expanding your Surface Bodies folder at the top of your FeatureManager and show/hiding them.

Mark's suggestion is good for feature management of a part when you no longer need the the surface bodies at the end of creating your part - a common practice is to apply a Delete feature to them to that they are not visible or selectable.