7 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2008 6:52 PM by 17026

Moving the Design Library into PDME vault

Hi all,

We are implementing a change over from PDMWorks to PDME rather soon. As such, we want to put our design library, which was living on a network drive, into the PDME vault.

We are currently trialling the vault change over, but when we put the design library is put into the vault and the drive on which the design library currently resides is disconnected, the assemblies cannot find the referenced library parts. How do we move the design library successfully?

The structure of the design library is something like this:
      "J:\Feature Palette\Design\Palette Parts\Fasteners\Screws\XXX.sldprt", where we have multiple directories for various types of parts. The "J:\Feature Palette\Design\Palette Parts" is the part that is considered the design library level (the directory listed in the design library location).

Can you please tell me how to get this library into the vault so that we can remove the old location, and so that all the older assemblies can then find all the appropriate parts?

Thanks,
      Daniel
        • Moving the Design Library into PDME vault
          Tim Koritz
          Why would you want your design library in your vault? The design library is intended for files that are not revision managed (ie off-the-shelf items). The vault is intended for files that are revision managed.

If you still desire to have your design library in your vault then a lot of working with SWx Explorer and changing references is required to take all of your library parts out of the library and put them internally to the assembly.
              Hi Tim,

To clarify, we want the parts in the vault for several reasons:
              - We want the revision control on parts as they can ocassionally change; for example, we sometimes get a new screw which can best be expressed as a configuration of another scrwe part, so that we keep all the same type of screw in common. Revison control lowers the risk of accidents.
              - In this part year, we had a certain component become obsolete. If we were able to find all the places this component was used inside PDME, this would make life easier.

Regards,
              Daniel
                  Lucas Dexter
                  Daniel,
                  We have the same situation. We do not utilize Toolbox so we have our own library of standard parts in a folder on the network called . . . \SW Templates\Palette\Parts with subfolders in the Parts folder depending on the part type. We wanted the standard parts in the vault for the exact situations you mentioned. When I implimented PDMWE a year ago I migrated all of the Solidworks files at one time. In doing so, the links to the standard parts were maintained to the new location in the vault as well as all of the other SolidWorks file links.
                  I am guessing in your situation you moved your CAD files in the vault and checked them in before you decided to move the standard parts folder into the vault? The only way I can see to fix this after the fact is by using SolidWorks Explorer to move the files without breaking the links.

LD
                      Martin Stokes
                      You could try adding a search path ('Options > File Locations' in SW) to the Design Library location in the vault. That way, when you turn off the 'old' location, SW will look in the 'new' location before giving up the ghost.

Regards
                          Glenn Douglas

Martin Stokes wrote:

You could try adding a search path ('Options > File Locations' in SW) to the Design Library location in the vault.

How do you add a search path to a location inside the Vault?

Martin Stokes
                              Originally posted by: Glenn Douglas-2

How do you add a search path to a location inside the Vault?

Same way you add any other search path - 'Tools > Options > File Locations' and select 'Search Paths' from the dropdown, then browse to the vault location.

The only caveat is that you must also have the files available in the local cache otherwise Solidworks can't see them. This is easily done with a 'Get latest version' on the Design Library folder.

This works okay for us as we have a fairly small library of less than 100 parts, so 'Get latest...' only takes a few seconds.

Regards
                            Hi,

Replying to Lucas's point, we have not yet gone live with PDMWE - we are currently using one of the test runs to make sure that things are good.

All our files are living in PDMWorkGroups. As such, I don't see any good way of moving the library parts into the vault while maintaining the links for the SolidWorks files when we do the import. The solution raised by others on this topic of using search paths might be the best.

With this idea, do we need to list every subdirectory under the new design library? Or is only the top level necessary? We were trying this type of thing (the other CAD admin and I), and he was having some success, while I was having difficulties; this would be due to him being the one who had checked the library parts into the vault, so that I had no local copies.

For searching, are the library part paths required to be in any other file location apart from the "Search Paths" one?

Thanks all for your help; this will make life just that much easier!

Regards,
                            Daniel