8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2009 7:24 PM by Adam Meyer

Linking Custom Properties Between Multiple Documents

Jeremy Schmidt
      My scenario is as follows:

It is common that we have 2 or more documents all referencing the same "Part Number". That means there are 2 or more data cards for the same Part Number. Has anyone attempted to link these documents so that when, for example, the description is updated on one data card, it pushes that description to all the other data cards containing the same Part Number? If not, does anyone know of an alternate way of looking at this?

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. If this needs to be done through the API, could you please give a good starting point.

Thanks,
      Jeremy
        • Linking Custom Properties Between Multiple Documents
          Jeremy Schmidt
          I should have also mentioned that this is for PDMWorks Enterprise. Sorry for the confusion.
            Joy Garon
            Hi Jeremy -

I understand your post as saying that you have two SolidWorks parts that use the same part number. (I'm assuming you are not using a serial number generator?)
            Can you provide some more information as to the user scenario of how these files are added? Are they added at the same time or are they added a different times? How does the user know that there are other parts with the same part number (or do they)?

Thanks,
            Joy
                Jeremy Schmidt
                Joy,

We are actually going to clean up the environment so that there aren't any duplicate SolidWorks parts or assemblies with the same part number. I should have clarified that these multiple documents are of all different file types. For example, there could be a .sldprt, .slddrw, and .doc file that all have the same part number. I suppose it is quite possible that the user would not know there are other documents with the same part number. Ideally, the user would need to be "informed" of this upon a check-out or a submittal to the next workflow step.

Thanks,
                Jeremy
                    richard lock
                    Hi,

I'ld be interested in the answer to this as well because short of writing an api utility I can not see a way of linking variables between document data cards. In our case it would be nice to link the an ECN number variable given to a ECN document (which is word) to the associated solidworks files (which have been added as a reference to the ECN document) as this number also gets displayed in the solidworks drawing.

At present this has to be manually added onto the solidworks data card or the only other option I've found (without coding) is to actaully create a top level folder for the ECN and then have the documents stored below it so that they inherit the ECN number variable from the folder card. This is however a major pain in the but and in most situations not appropariate as you need to move files about.

Anyway look forward to an answer although I've a feeling it's an enhancement request.

Cheers,
                    Richard
                        Joy Garon
                        Hi Jeremy -

For your situation you may want to consider using a template to create mutliple documents that use the same part number. A common case for this would be a part and drawing that use the same part number. Then you might also use a document number to uniquely identify documents if required.

Attached is a sample template I use in training (2008). (You will need to copy the Tempates directory into the vault and check in the contents of the directory.)

Regards,
                        Joy
                            Adam Meyer

Joy Garon wrote:

Hi Jeremy -

For your situation you may want to consider using a template to create mutliple documents that use the same part number. A common case for this would be a part and drawing that use the same part number. Then you might also use a document number to uniquely identify documents if required.

Attached is a sample template I use in training (2008). (You will need to copy the Tempates directory into the vault and check in the contents of the directory.)

Regards,

Joy

Hi Joy,

I'm getting an error when I try to import the .ctf file into Enterprise: "Could not access the file vault"

The other example you posted worked though.

BTW I'm using 2009.

Thanks,

Adam
                            Joy Garon
                            Hi Richard -

You could create an ECN file data card which would be associated to whatever document type you may use for EC documents (word, excel, pdf, etc) and save the data card into the EC folder in the vault. Then you can use the 'paste as reference' feature to attach cad files to the change doc.
                            I have seen folks use a macro to add the list of pasted documents to the EC document.

Another option (if you do not have a document) is to use a virtual document and create a template to create new EC's. I have included a sample for you to try in a dummy vault. Add the data card, then copy the Templates folder into the vault and checkin, and finally import the template - then give it a try.

Regards,
                            Joy