39 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2008 7:52 PM by 1-AFNFZE

"Heads Up" shortcut menu has disappeared

MIKE ELAM
      Hi,
      Can anyone tell me how to show or hide the "heads up" shortcut bar that was showing in my graphics window? It's disappeared on me, and of course there's nothing in the help about it.

Hope you can help.
      Thanks,
      Mike
        • "Heads Up
          Anna Wood
          RMB in the general area where the Heads Up Toolbar should be. Then select which options to turn on.

See attached....

Cheers,

• "Heads Up
              Andy Sanders
              It's not clear whether you're talking about the display head's up toolbar (as Anna has shown), or the head's up "in context" bars that pop up when you left click something.

Just in case it's the latter, you can get those back by right clicking anywhere in an empty space on the toolbar area, select "Customize" and check one or both of the buttons for "Context Toolbar Settings".

---Off topic by a mile: Anna, I love your avatar! GO WINGS!
                • "Heads Up
                  I had the same thing happen.
                  We've only had solidworks for about 6 weeks, and from time to time it will just dump all of its settings for one of us, and start us over at the "license agreement" screen.
                  Usually we can get everything back up and running pretty quickly, but this time it dumped the heads-up tool bar on one of the machines, and there is absolutely nothing in the help file about turning it back on.

Anna Wood wrote:

RMB in the general area where the Heads Up Toolbar should be. Then select which options to turn on.
                  Cheers,

Andy Sanders wrote:

It's not clear whether you're talking about the display head's up toolbar (as Anna has shown), or the head's up "in context" bars that pop up when you left click something.

In my case, it's neither...
                  there's a semi-transparent tool bar across the top of the model/drawing portion of the window, and contains the zoom, section, orientation, style commands. Well, that is, four of the machines here have that tool bar, but one machine currently does not.
                  Generally after sw dumps everything on any of the machines, that toolbar comes back, but not this time. And after over 3 hours of searching through everything, I give up!
                    • "Heads Up
                      Charles Culp
                      Greg,

That IS the heads up toolbar (the other one is called the context toolbar), so Anna's suggestion is the one that should work for you. Are you running SW2008 or SW2009?
                        • "Heads Up
                          sw2008, and when i right click up there i get a pop up menu:
                          select other
                          zoom to fit
                          zoom to area
                          zoom in/out
                          rotate view
                          pan
                          roll view
                          view orientation
                          recent commands
                          contour select
                          open drawing
                          customize menu

I mean, some of these are the commands that were on the toolbar that got dumped, but I would like to have the toolbar turned on permanently (well, at least have it turned on by default) so I can just do a normal mouse click like it used to be.
                            • "Heads Up
                              Wayne Tiffany
                              Go ahead and click some of them. When the toolbar isn't showing up there, it's because somehow all of those got unchecked. It's still there - it's just empty.

WT
                                • "Heads Up
                                  Well, when I click on them, they work as expected... I guess what I need is a way to have that pop-up menu 'docked' to the top of the graphics area.
                                    • "Heads Up
                                      Daniel Eelman
                                      Greg,

Are you seeing the check boxes on the left of the RMB menu, as in Anna's image? If not, you're not clicking in the right place. You need to be right about in the horizontal center of the graphics area, along the top edge. Then check the boxes next to the items you want to remain turned on.
                                      • "Heads Up
                                        Greg, I think your missing the spot, if you RMB in the top center of the SW workspace you should get a window that show the available commands with a checkbox to choose which ones you want shown. It is a different menu from the one you get anywhere else by RMB.
                                          • "Heads Up
                                            I have right clicked nearly every pixel in the workspace, and all I get is the pop-up menu as mentioned above.
                                            I do not get a pop-up as shown in Anna's image.
                                            Maybe I'm not explaining it clearly enough, or maybe I shouldve made this a new thread.
                                            There is nothing in the place where there used to be a semi-transparent tool bar.
                                            If I right click anywhere on the screen, including in the center top of the graphics window, then I get a pop-up menu.
                                            The problem, as near as I can tell, is that somewhere, somehow, in the middle of losing all of the other settings, SW has turned off this toolbar.
                                            I cannot find anywhere that allows me to turn it back on.
                                            When it dumps the command manager toolbar, we can turn it back on by going to tools->customize and clicking a check box.
                                            After nearly six hours of dicking with it, I still cannot find where to go to actually turn on the heads-up tool bar.
                                            It's not like this will prevent me from getting anything done, I can still use the view->display text menu and get the same functionality, and to be honest, I still can go to Autocad as well.
                                            I have, however, found that if I turn on the "view" toolbar, I can drag it to approximately the same place on the screen.
                                            This will at least let me access many of the same features that used to live at that spot on the screen, and I honestly don't care after this much time whether or not it is transparent; eye candy does not impress me nearly as much as consistency and functionality.
                                            That being said, is there some way to just have the 'view' toolbar docked and locked to this position on the screen?
                                              • "Heads Up
                                                Mark Kaiser
                                                Greg,

When you RMB and get the menu with the options you listed, are any of the checkboxes checked? I'm assuming no. Click and make a checkmark in the box, then that command will appear again.

After you get a computer set the way you want it, I suggest making a copy of your settings so you can re-import the settings if you lose them again. Look for 'copy settings wizard' in the help files.
                                                  • "Heads Up

Mark Kaiser wrote:

When you RMB and get the menu with the options you listed, are any of the checkboxes checked?

There are no checkboxes in the popup menu, only the items listed above.
                                                    (That is,
                                                    select other
                                                    zoom to fit
                                                    zoom to area
                                                    zoom in/out
                                                    rotate view
                                                    pan
                                                    roll view
                                                    view orientation
                                                    recent commands
                                                    contour select
                                                    open drawing
                                                    customize menu)

• "Heads Up
                                                        Charles Culp
                                                        Greg,

Hopefully this attachment helps clarify what you are seeing. You are definitely not getting the HUD toolbar options. The attached image is typical of what you get for right clicking in the viewing area when nothing is selected.
                                                          • "Heads Up

Charles Culp wrote:

Hopefully this attachment helps clarify what you are seeing. You are definitely not getting the HUD toolbar options. The attached image is typical of what you get for right clicking in the viewing area when nothing is selected.

Well, I don't know how that clarifies anything... yes, that is exactly what I am seeing. What do I do next... that is the step that I am missing. My point is, there is nothing in the viewing area *to* select!
                                                              • "Heads Up
                                                                Joel Bickel
                                                                Greg, if you are seeing what Charles posted, you are in the wrong place. There is not a place to go to turn the transparent menu back on because it is not really turned off- all of the commands are just hidden.

Pull the Feature tree way over almost to the rt side of the screen so that the "hidden" area is easier to find. Use a ruler if you need to and RMB on the EXACT center of the graphics window just below the toolbar space. You should get the picture that Anna posted. Check the boxes you want and they will stick.
                                                                  • "Heads Up
                                                                    I don't know how much closer to the exact center of the graphics window I can get without getting out a set of calipers, but it seems ridiculous to me that people have to jump through this many hoops just to turn on a menu bar. Which leads me to believe I am not asking the question properly.
                                                                    But, as I don't know of any other way to ask it, then I will just begin tomorrow and try it with a fresh cup of coffee.
                                                                      • "Heads Up
                                                                        Tony Hayes
                                                                        Where did you buy your software from? I am leary of it. There is this site http://www.cheapestsoftwareanywhere.com/. I do not trust them. That install process is crazy.

I would only buy software like this ONLY from a VAR. Otherwise I think you might have a illegal copy.
                                                                          • "Heads Up
                                                                            Local seller and training center - Fischer/Unitech
                                                                            They said that the html install is necessary due to our wanting to use a network based licensing system, and that ther are "known issues" with the dwg editor installation.
                                                                              • "Heads Up
                                                                                Tony Hayes
                                                                                Ok, they look like a VAR. So my first response is wrong.

Your history tree is way to wide, that is way you can not get to the center of the screen. Grab the arrows that are on the vertical line, they should be about in the middle and drag it to the left. Then you will get you screen back.

• "Heads Up
                                                                                    Joel Bickel
                                                                                    Tony,

The heads up menu moves dynamically with the tree. it stays centered between the feature tree and the task pane if the task pane is thumbtacked down.
                                                                                    • "Heads Up

Tony Hayes wrote:

Your history tree is way to wide, that is way you can not get to the center of the screen. Grab the arrows that are on the vertical line, they should be about in the middle and drag it to the left. Then you will get you screen back.

This is a joke, right?
                                                                                      Two posts above the attachment is where I was ***told*** to move the edge of the history tree to the right.

Kelvin Lamport wrote:

I guarantee that a major part of your problem is the Radeon card. Dump it! In general Radeons are next to useless for SW. Very few people use them without issues. By the sound of it that may not solve all your problems, but it will drastically reduce the risk. I am amazed that your VAR has not pointed that out to you.

Our seller never once asked about, or told us about, system requirements.
                                                                                      And to be honest, we are not having graphic problems at all.

Tony Hayes wrote:

I did not know that is stays centered, thanks for telling this. But Since I did not know he most likely does not, so maybe he is in the center of the which will only put him over the history tree. I have never moved mine that more over is way I never seen it before.

Ummm... actually, no, I am not over the center of the screen.
                                                                                      I am over the center of solid works' graphics window, as I was instructed. I believe I tried to explain that several times, and in fact, the picture I posted pretty clearly shows that the mouse click was over the center of the graphics window and not the center of the screen.

Charles Culp wrote:

I would tell FUNtech that they need to get their butts back in and fix the mess.

OK... I think it is getting out of control.
                                                                                      I re-read the posts, and I can't believe the way this is progressing.
                                                                                      I wanted to turn on a menu. That's all.
                                                                                      I don't want to have the seller come out to turn it on for me.
                                                                                      I don't want to replace graphics hardware to turn it on.
                                                                                      I don't want to have to resize my screen or my window to turn it on; it was right there before with everything else the same.
                                                                                      I have imported settings from another user and am *still* having to change paths to templates and backup folders.
                                                                                      Rather than waste another entire day trying to figure out exactly the right way to ask my question, or trying to find the *exact* place to click (when there is nothing there *to* click), or jump through hoops to follow conflicting sets of instructions in an attempt to turn this menu on, I am going to ignore it.
                                                                                      This is obviously something I can't explain correctly, even though I have explained it as clearly as I am able. So either I am not asking it correctly, or nobody knows how to do it. And so instead of wasting any more of your time or mine, I am just going to not worry about it. I mean ffs... ten straight hours messing around trying to turn on one menu... am I the only one who thinks that is a monumental waste of time?
                                                                                      So. Thanks for all of your suggestions, but I can't play any more. I have work to do. Twice what I did yesterday, in fact.
                                                                                        • "Heads Up
                                                                                          Tom Nicholson
                                                                                          getting back on topic, the below picture is what I feel that your looking for, and if you right click where I drew the arrow, you should see the menu that is showing in the picture.

so, what your going to want to do is open your template file, or open a blank part, make whatever changes you want to make, then save it as a template.. that is how solidworks saves most UI stuff. Which is good because then you can have multiple templates for whatever you want, eg. Standard, Metric, Klingon, etc..

you can also search the help files for Templates..

• "Heads Up
                                                                                              Tony Hayes
                                                                                              If your history tree is all the to the right, then you are not going to have very large graphics window to work in. SO no that post was not a joke; you need to move it to the left.

Look at Tom's screen shot and you can see where his history tree line is. And I do agree with Tom on that is what you are looking for.

Ok I did not see Joel post about moving the history tree to the right, so that could be why it is was over there.
                                                                                                • "Heads Up
                                                                                                  Daniel Eelman
                                                                                                  Greg,

We can all sympathize with your frustration. We've all been there over various issues. The folks here are just trying to help you in different ways.

Joel suggested pulling the tree way to the right to minimize the areas where you could miss the target. That may not have looked right to everyone, but it was one approach to finding the right spot.

A lot of us have been assuming you are just not clicking in the correct spot, but it is sounding more likely that there is an installation problem and the software is not functioning correctly. That's why Charles suggested getting the seller out to help fix the install, since they provided the installation scripts. Your comments:
                                                                                                  "I think that, without fail, every engineer that uses sw here on a regular basis has come in in the morning to find that upon starting their machine, about 1/4 of the time, there is some group of settings that has gone away, or menu bars that are simply gone, or suddenly sw is in meters instead of inches... but until today, it usually can be brought back to normal with only 10 or 20 minutes of fiddling with it. "
                                                                                                  do not sound like typical user experiences, so problems with the installation method could very well be the issue.

Graphics card issues can be sneaky. You may not see any other noticeable graphics issues, but that does not rule out a card or driver issue. Again, just someone trying to offer some possible solutions.

We all feel your pain. I would suggest seeing if Fischer/Unitech is willing to work with you one-on-one to hammer this out, or at least help you do a clean reinstall.
                                                                                                    • "Heads Up
                                                                                                      Charles Culp
                                                                                                      Let me concur with Dan here. "the mess" that Funtech needs to fix is the fact that your installation is bad, and more importantly, that people log-in with their settings changed. To me that is far worse than not having the view settings, as you will have to change it *every* time. They should be more-than-response to fix their bad install. If they are not, let me know, there are people at Funtech who will take care of you.

There are mixed signals on some people's part as to "clicking in the correct area". You have indeed made it obvious that you are clicking in the correct area, so I wouldn't bother with that.

Also, you are using a "gaming" card for 3d modeling, as Kelvin mentioned. It is too bad Funtech didn't discuss video cards, as the one you have is inappropriate. You should be running a card that runs OpenGL drivers for 3D modeling. The best bang for your buck right now is an nVidia Quadro FX570. They are not cheap, but you will notice a great improvement in the stability of your system, and also performance, by running the proper card. You can find a full list of supported cards here: http://www.solidworks.com/sw/s.../videocardtesting.html
                                                                                                        • "Heads Up
                                                                                                          Wow.
                                                                                                          Just... Wow.

I just have to sit here and laugh.
                                                                                                          This is just amazing.

OK... first off, to answer my own question:
                                                                                                          HKCU/software/solidworks/solidworks2008/userinterface/viewtools/part-assy, and HKCU/software/solidworks/solidworks2008/userinterface/viewtools/drawing
                                                                                                          go there and add a string value named "btn0" and assign it the string "34100" in both keys
                                                                                                          ta-daaah. semi-transparent toolbar appears when solidworks is launched, as though by magic. from there it can be customized (well, you can use any of the dozen or so available options)

Secondly... Tom, see Joel's post. Or maybe vice versa. But that is no where NEAR the "Exact center" of the graphics window. But I do agree... once the toolbar is visible, right clicking on it works beautifully. But... ONCE IT IS VISIBLE. Which was the whole reason I posted this question in the first place. But that has somehow become beside the point during the course of this epic journey.

Third... I did not have to resize my graphic window, buy new hardware, import someone else's defaults, or find the exact center of anything. All I had to do is turn on the menu.

So. Thank you all, it has been very entertaining to see so many answers to so many questions other than the one I asked.
                                                                                                            • "Heads Up
                                                                                                              Joel Bickel

Greg Hyman wrote:

HKCU/software/solidworks/solidworks2008/userinterface/viewtools/part-assy, and HKCU/software/solidworks/solidworks2008/userinterface/viewtools/drawing

go there and add a string value named "btn0" and assign it the string "34100" in both keys
                                                                                                              ta-daaah. semi-transparent toolbar appears when solidworks is launched, as though by magic. from there it can be customized (well, you can use any of the dozen or so available options)

Ya, that's WAY easier than just right clicking on the center of the screen and turning it back on.

Clearly, there was a problem with your install. I just wouldn't want someone else to come along and think that it was that difficult to turn that menu back on.
                                                                                                                • "Heads Up
                                                                                                                  Wayne Tiffany
                                                                                                                  Hey guys, cool. I agree this discussion got a bit out of hand, but that's because Greg kept asking how to turn that toolbar on. Well, the answer by anything normal is that you can't, because there isn't any way to turn it off. All of the help about right-clicking was proper for the normal way things should have been.

I felt that you had clicked in the proper area and kept telling people that you were and it wasn't working. Ok, then something abnormal has happened here, but I don't know what yet. The fact that you had to go to the registry and add a value to a key is the evidence that things were not right. Your frustration was evident to me in that you aren't an idiot - you were clicking and it wasn't working - something else was wrong, and why won't somebody just tell you how to turn it back on!! Well, there isn't a setting to turn it back on, because you can't turn it off.

So, my question is, who clued you in on the proper value to add to the keys? I figure it had to come from SW. I had done some looking in my registry to see if it was obvious what was controlling that toolbar and I couldn't find it. I could have taken some guesses, but I didn't have enough confidence to suggest adding particular keys and/or values.

Then the next obvious question is what caused it? Will it happen again? Is this also the answer to Mike's original question?

WT
                                                                                                                    • "Heads Up
                                                                                                                      John Sweeney
                                                                                                                      Hi Guys,
                                                                                                                      I agree with Wayne. The most concerning question to me is why Mike is constantly losing his registry settings. This is a very unusual problem. It sounds like SolidWorks is crashing and wiping out the "HKCU/software/solidworks/solidworks 2008" registry keys. This would explain why the "License Agreement" is seen when you restart.

(Note, if you rename the reg key above after closing SolidWorks, then SolidWorks will resort to the "out of the box" settings the next time you start up. This would fix your on-screen toolbar issue too, but you'd lose any other customization you've done in the UI...)

Mike, when your UI is wiped out, has SolidWorks crashed and when restarted you see the UI is messed up? If this is the case, do you notice this when you come into work in the morning? If so, perhaps the "dissection tool" is crashing overnight. This is a process that runs at night and breaks down your models for more efficient searching. This has been turned off by default in SW2009 but may be turned on in your build. Go to Tools-Options-Search and uncheck the "Schedule dissection daily..." option. Do you guys run any other "batch" processes at night using the Task Scheduler, such as nightly file conversions? If so, you could try disabling that too.

If this is not the case, then you have something else which is making your machines unstable. It could certainly be a bad install, but I'd be surprised that several machines at your site would all have bad installs. I would lean toward your graphics card being the cause of constant crashes. If all the machines seeing this issue have the same unsupported graphics card, I would consider upgrading to a supported OpenGL card. If not, then simply make sure your graphic card drivers have been updated to one of the supported driver versions (see http://www.solidworks.com/sw/s.../videocardtesting.html ).

I hope this helps. But if not, I would agree that you should work with your VAR to resolve this problem. What you are seeing is not expected and I'm sure it is frustrating.

Best Regards,
                                                                                                                      John
                                                                                                                        • "Heads Up
                                                                                                                          Joel: Yes, it is way easier. Trying to find which specific pixel to right-click on took about twelve hours, and never did work. Finding the registry entries that control the toolbar took less than an hour and worked perfectly the first time.

Wayne: The fact that you had to go to the registry and add a value to a key is the evidence that things were not right.
                                                                                                                          Ummm... when I turn any menu on or off, sw appears to save that change in the registry. The only thing that is "wrong" is that there does not appear to be any way to actually turn this one on or off other than finding the exact center of the screen... or, to simply click on the menu once it is actually turned on.
                                                                                                                          And finding the keys was pretty straightforward... exporting the solidworks registry keys/values from a 'working' machine and doing a side-by-side comparison with the one in question was pretty simple.

Tony: Six machines here have sw installed, it seems to me that if 83% of these machines lose settings and menus and preferences (the other machine is a laptop that is shared amongst the engineering staff while off-site, so any changing settings are written off as 'the last guy changed it'), then I must say it is quite a coincidence that the same problem permeates every machine and installation.
                                                                                                                          And as far as graphics issues, the seller never said word one about changing to a several hundred-dollar graphics accelerator; in fact is seems that since sw is not having any display problems on several machines that are running integrated 82865 chipsets makes me think that we'll hold off on upgrading for now.

John: The 'License agreement' didn't show up until I tried the "Copy settings wizard" as instructed several posts above. And from the looks of it, all that "wizard" does is export the sw registry settings and then import them in on another machine (something that is actually built in to regedit.exe!)... which is all well and good except for the part where any paths which point to a local directory will more than likely not exist on the target machine... which in turn leads to sw kvetching about "path not found".
                                                                                                                          And, the UI is not 'wiped out' per se; just random settings will vanish or change unexpectedly... And sw exits cleanly every time (afaik) for all of us. And no dissection running at all. The only thing that runs on any machines during the night is Symantec/Norton antivirus; but nothing anywhere suggests that it is making any changes at all.
                                                                                                                          I would agree that you should work with your VAR to resolve this problem.
                                                                                                                          Well... considering that they told us during their pre-sale demo that they would be onsite for the installation, and then tried instead to talk us through it over the phone and via email for 3 weeks before finally coming out and then (for the first time) telling us that there are 'known issues' with installing the dwg editor after several hours of failed installation attempts...
                                                                                                                          yeah. I'm just not feeling them getting excited about coming out and turning on a menu on one machine. Especially since it now turned on and working just fine.

but anyway. thank you everyone for the input. good times.
                                                                                                                      • "Heads Up
                                                                                                                        Tony Hayes
                                                                                                                        Since this is the way you had to get to show I would for sure do a clean uninstall and reinstall.

We all were trying to help you to get it to show the proper way. None of us has ever had to do it like that or someone would have said so. Thats way I think it was a install problem.

I would do a clean install for the reason that if you had to do this for that, I would bet there are other issues that you will see come about the more you use the software.

You are right that you did not have to replace hardware, but do take our advice on the video card. It will be a issue at some point.
                                                                                        • "Heads Up
                                                                                          Greg, try using SW Copy Setting Wizzard and copy the settings from one of the computers that is working to the one you can't get to show the Heads Up toolbar.
                                                                                            • "Heads Up

Daniel Herr wrote:

Greg, try using SW Copy Setting Wizzard and copy the settings from one of the computers that is working to the one you can't get to show the Heads Up toolbar.

Great.
                                                                                              No I get the "Welcome to SolidWorks" box when i launch it, along with a dialog box complaining that now my auto recovery directory does not exist.
                                                                                              This is kind of like watching dominoes fall.

Is there just some way of pinning the 'view' menu to the graphics window so it will stay visible when toggling between the model and a drawing?
                                                                                                • "Heads Up
                                                                                                  Mark Kaiser
                                                                                                  Greg,

It almost sounds like you had a bad SW install, or there's something else going on with your PC to cause SW to not act properly. Can you share your system spec's and install process you used for SW? I'm not a PC expert, but there are others here that can help if this is the problem.
                                                                                                    • "Heads Up
                                                                                                      2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
                                                                                                      2 Gb Ram
                                                                                                      Radeon 1300 pro
                                                                                                      XP Pro Service pack 2
                                                                                                      SW 2008 Service pack 4

The seller gave us a strange little html file (well, technically I believe it was VBScript) to use for installing, but after several weeks of failed installs on every machine here, as well as a series of dos-box commands they emailed to us for us to try, they finally sent a guy out to brute force his way through it.
                                                                                                      Now, according to the seller, there were TCP ports that needed to be opened in our server's firewall to allow it to install; our network advisor group said that there was no way that mattered, as they had installed sw on dozens of machines in the area with no trouble at all; those two groups battled it out, the end result is that the html file will install most of sw, but then someone has to manually go back and re-install the dwg viewer and manually add the license information to every machine after the install is complete.
                                                                                                      I think that, without fail, every engineer that uses sw here on a regular basis has come in in the morning to find that upon starting their machine, about 1/4 of the time, there is some group of settings that has gone away, or menu bars that are simply gone, or suddenly sw is in meters instead of inches... but until today, it usually can be brought back to normal with only 10 or 20 minutes of fiddling with it.
                                                                                                      Today, two of us were missing the command manager, but that happens so often that it barely slowed either of us down. But the missing semi-transparent menu is a new one, and again... I just need to know how to turn it on or off. But since that doesnt seem to be a question that anyone can answer, and since all of the suggestions I have received do not seem to be helping matters at all, and especially since I have been at this d*mn thing for nearly 9 straight hours without being any closer to it, then really... just someone tell me how to pin the view menu to the graphics window. I really dont care if its transparent or not. I just need to be able to get some work done, and as Autocad seems to be able to function perfectly through this ordeal, I really am starting not to care if I can get one little tool bar turned on or not in solidworks... but on the off chance that someone reads this and can tell me where to go to turn it on or off, or can tell me whether or not it is possible to lock the view toolbar to the screen... then I will continue answering questions about this. But really -- it does not matter to me at this point; I'm sure if I wait a few days that something else will turn itself off or on and it will probably take care of itself.
                                                                                                        • "Heads Up
                                                                                                          Mark Kaiser
                                                                                                          Greg, I don't believe you can lock the view toolbar to the screen, but as with any toolbar, you can 'dock' it. If drag the toolbar to the outer edges of the screen, normally the top or left sides, it will 'dock' and remain in place. But, with the issues you are having, I'm not too confident in it working.

Wow, that's quite an install process, glad I can don't have to go thru something like that! Whatever happened to throwing in a DVD and letting it install?
                                                                                                          • "Heads Up
                                                                                                            Kelvin Lamport
                                                                                                            Greg,

2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
                                                                                                            2 Gb Ram
                                                                                                            Radeon 1300 pro
                                                                                                            XP Pro Service pack 2
                                                                                                            SW 2008 Service pack 4

I guarantee that a major part of your problem is the Radeon card. Dump it! In general Radeons are next to useless for SW. Very few people use them without issues. By the sound of it that may not solve all your problems, but it will drastically reduce the risk. I am amazed that your VAR has not pointed that out to you.
                                                                                                              • "Heads Up
                                                                                                                Tony Hayes
                                                                                                                Joel,

I did not know that is stays centered, thanks for telling this. But Since I did not know he most likely does not, so maybe he is in the center of the which will only put him over the history tree. I have never moved mine that more over is way I never seen it before.