7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2008 7:21 PM by Euan Dykes

Automatic relations

Robert Thomson
      When sketching a set of holes (and lines) a vertical or horizontal dashed line comes up whe your cursor is in line with a previous sketched point. Is there anyway to make that a relation? I have "Automatic Relations" turned on.
      Thanks,
      Rob
        • Automatic relations
          Mark Kaiser
          I think the only way to do that is with a work around, like drawing a horizontal line first and attaching the center of the circles to the line when you draw them.

Why not make one hole and pattern the rest? Different sizes?
          • Automatic relations
            Jerry Steiger
            Robert,

The automatic relations happen only when the dashed line comes up with a certain color (which I can never remember, mabye brown?). The other color (blue?) is just advising you that you are in line with the other point. You will have to manually add that relation. The good news is that you can the horizontal or vertical relation to a whole string of points at once.
            • Automatic relations
              I would have thought that you could have used "Fully Define Sketch" to add the relations after the fact, but that tool is not working properly. It works if you have it generate both relations and dimensions. It will generate Horizontal/Vertical relations. But if you uncheck dimensions, if does not add the horizontal/vertical relations.
              • Automatic relations
                Tom Nicholson

Robert Thomson wrote:

When sketching a set of holes (and lines) a vertical or horizontal dashed line comes up whe your cursor is in line with a previous sketched point. Is there anyway to make that a relation? I have "Automatic Relations" turned on.

Thanks,

Rob

you can relation holes to one another, click center points on 2 (or more) holes, and choose horizontal/vertical relation. No lines needed.
                • Automatic relations
                  Euan Dykes
                  I too have found this frustrating, that points do not auto relate. The models I'm working on require many sketch driven patterns, using centre lines is both time consuming and messy looking. This would be a time saving feature in SW2009.