9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2008 4:37 PM by Andy Sanders

Context toolbars in Drawings

Andy Sanders
      I've become used to and now like context toolbars quite a bit.

It hit me not too long after I started to use 08 that they don't work in drawing mode.

I'm just curious why they neglected to add this feature to drawing mode?

I bet it will be in 09. Maybe they didn't have time to finish it.

I'm constantly clicking on parts in drawing views, expecting a toolbar to pop up!
        • Context toolbars in Drawings
          Wayne Tiffany
          I don't have an answer but it reminds me of the stupid commercials that are running for something where the person runs into the door because it failed to open on the voice command of "door, open." I click a drawing view and pause, expecting the little box to appear. Fortunately I'm getting over that! :-) Hopefully it will be there as I too have come to use it and really like it.

WT
              Andy Sanders
              LOL! Maybe we'll see voice commands in 09! Slick!

"Solidworks, open"
              "Solidworks, start sketch"
              "Solidworks, please don't crash!"
              "Solidworks, override "Failed to Save Document and save anyway"

Yea, it's the stuff thats inconsistent that can be annoying. Give us something cool in one part of the program, but not another.

I just think they didn't have time to finish it for 08 release. I bet it's in 09.
                  Jim Wilkinson
                  Hi Guys,

Actually, we intentionally did not deliver this in drawings for SolidWorks 2008 and it will also not be in SolidWorks 2009. We did initially implement it in drawings but in testing found it to be more annoying than useful. One problem in drawings is that there are so many different types of entities, defining when they should work and when they shouldn't and what should be on the toolbars for different entities is difficult. We are certainly open to implementing it in drawings. With that in mind, I would appreciate your input as to where it should be implemented. Perhaps in this thread, individuals can give input into how it should be implemented. Specifically, if individuals could answer the following, I would appreciate it:

1) For which entities that you select would you want the context toolbar implemented.
                  2) For each entity from #1, which commands would you want on the context toolbar.

Thanks,
                  Jim
                      Andy Sanders
                      I would like to see the ability to open a part/assembly, show/hide options when clicking on a part.

Also, if you had an icon to make a projected view from the view clicked.

Just keep it simple, and only show the most used commands in drawings, like you implemented in part/assembly mode.

I'm glad we have the "S" key in drawings. That's a great addition.
                        Wayne Tiffany
                        Clicking in the view and being able to open the model is probably the most common that I can think of. I will add to the list as I think of them.
                            Mark Kaiser
                            Hopefully this thread is still active...

Here's what I'd like to see on the context menu for drawings, it's what's on my current shortcut bar for drawings. I'd probably be happy if I could map this to my left mouse button, in drawings only.
                                Jim Wilkinson

Mark Kaiser wrote:

Here's what I'd like to see on the context menu for drawings, it's what's on my current shortcut bar for drawings. I'd probably be happy if I could map this to my left mouse button, in drawings only.

Hi Mark,

The philosophy of the context toolbar vs. shortcut bar is that the context toolbar contains items that act upon the item that is currently selected. It is related to the RMB menu which also is context sensitive (for the most part). So for both the RMB menu and context toolbar (which really is just an extension of the RMB menu) we try to limit it mostly to commands that relate to the currently selected entity and the commands that are on it change based on the item that is currently selected. On the other hand, the shortcut bar is a utility where you can put commands that don't necessarily relate to any selection. They are commands that can be used at any time, with or without a selection.

What it appears you are suggesting is basically merging the two. Do you mean on every single selection that you make with your left mouse button, that large toolbar would come up with all of those commands? If so, what would you use the shortcut bar for (or would you not use it...you are proposing a different means to invoking it)?

Thanks,
                                Jim
                                    Mark Kaiser
                                    Well, it could go two ways...

1. Context - have the commands I showed on my shortcut bar come up in context, like projected view, cropped view, smart dimension, anything related to a drawing view come up when I click on a drawing view. Click on sheet, have sheet properties, add sheet, etc come up. Maybe the context bar wouldn't have to be related to edges, faces, bodies, holes, features, etc. in drawings. Keep it simple, just basic drawing related commands controlled by a click on a sheet or drawing view.

2. Having the s bar mapped to my LMB just saves a keystroke. Probably if I had one of those fancy spacepilots or the like I'd map it there. Really a workaround, not a solution.

Andy Sanders
                                        To me, it's simply a user interface inconsistency.

When I am in Assembly or Part mode, I use the LMB menus all the time, along with the S key.

When I switch over to Drawing mode, I find myself LMB on things and waiting a split second for something to pop up. Nothing happens. It feels like it was forgotten, or Drawing mode is stuck in SW2007 still.

I really don't want to see a hundred buttons when I LMB, but I'd like to see a few commands show up, like open the part/assembly in the view, switch configurations of the view, project another view.